Gibson Brands Forums

Just got back from Vegas Trip...

JayGLongBeach

Congrats, that's a beautiful guitar man! What don't you like about the stock PU?

P90. Depends on what sound you're going for? SeymourD has about 5 P90s in different outputs, I hear Jason Lollar makes the best P90, and then there 's Gibson...

Nice orange walls:-)

Scored this one! Pristine clean' date=' looks brand new...[/color']

Any suggestions on changing Pups out to P90's?

Beautiful! Nice score. If it sounds and plays good, why do anything do it?

Just Play it and Enjoy it

2112595-1.jpg

2112600.jpg

https://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=80151&pg=65960&id=2112600

Go with Gibsons P-90 @ $84 ea.

Widely known as Gibson's first successful single-coil pickup, the lean and mean P-90 offers a stellar combination of high output and biting treble response. After nearly 50 years, the P-90 is still a favorite among musicians as a replacement alter-native for the typical single coil pickups.

Approx. Ohms reading = 7.9K Approx. Ohms reading = 7.9K

But you will also need to change the caps. Check their Mojotone Vitamin T Oil Filled (sealed) caps and wiring kits (assemblies for LP)

Hmm? Actually Stumblinman made a valid comment. While a P90 requires the humbuckercavity to be slightly routed lengthwise(I suspect), A P90 is smaller than a humbucker and may require some custom-made ring or plate to cover the hole.

JGLongbeach. Dogear or soapbar is just a reference to covertype. Same beasty underneath.:-)

JGLongbeach said: but I am really diggin' those Charlie Christian Pups!

The tone matches well with the sound of a P-90, but...treble is sweeter, without any of that icepick ear-bleed excess you can get with a P-90 on some amps -- and has a MUCH more full, fat, warm, rich midrange. There is actually bass also, as opposed to the P-90, though to be truthful, this is the smallest difference in tone. At least, it is the way this one is set up. I have Alnico II magnets installed for the fattest of the fat in the neck of Whitey (my signature picture white SG). Vintage Vibe Guitars, who make the pickup, also package a ceramic magnet set with each pickup for those that wish a harder, higher output sound. You choose one Alnico, and one Ceramic magnet set, and specify which set to be installed from the maker. They ask questions for days, trying to nail down the exact sound you are looking for and then strive to get it for you. Really good people.

I just got back from Las Vegas and i typically hit the pawn shops when I'm there...

Scored this one! Pristine clean' date=' looks brand new...[/color']

IMG_9026.jpg?t=1205051284

IMG_9028.jpg?t=1205051329

IMG_9036.jpg?t=1205051399

Any suggestions on changing Pups out to P90's?

Thanks!

GFS Mean 90 hands down!

thanks TVT - will that fit right into the original HB cavity or will a root canal be necessary?

And thanks' date=' Gary- i think i'm leaning towards the CC's[/quote']

Yep drops right in, no routing required. Designed for Hbucker housing.

Warm bassy growlin P90ish tone, pure heaven.Vintage Vibes CC's are amazing as well.

Either way is a win!

Archived