Gibson Brands Forums

Stop Tailpiece

shartom

I've been comparing the height of the stop tailpieces on various guitars both Gibson and Epiphones. Some are screwed down and others are raised somewhat above the body.

When screwed down, I would think that the bridge must be put under a lot of stress. Dan Earlwine mentioned this in one of his books.

I've got three Epi Less Pauls and I am thinking of experimenting with one of them to see if it makes any difference with the sound.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Tom

I've been comparing the height of the stop tailpieces on various guitars both Gibson and Epiphones. Some are screwed down and others are raised somewhat above the body.

When screwed down' date=' I would think that the bridge must be put under a lot of stress. Dan Earlwine mentioned this in one of his books.

I've got three Epi Less Pauls and I am thinking of experimenting with one of them to see if it makes any difference with the sound.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Tom[/quote']

When the tp is all the down, the angle is sharper exerting more pressure on the bridge theoretically increasing sustain. Raise the tp and pressure decreases giving a looser feel to the strings. So they say.

If you screw the tp down, make sure the strings don't touch the rear of the bridge.

It can,on my 2001 Gibson flying V, I was having tuning problems,since it already has a bone nut with low cut slots,and Planet waves trim lok tuner's,I looked at the break angle(over bridge to tailpiece) after reading about it as being a possibility albiet a small one, here on the forum.It turned out that in this case it was too sharp,raising the tp 1/2 turn on ea side cured my tuning problems and made it play alot bendier easier.

On the flip side,My 2007 g-400 played sloppy and had a buzz I couldn't figure out,turned out one of the tailpiece stud anchors wasn't set all the way into the body,a couple taps w a rubber mallet fixed both problems.

So I'd have to say YES.

Archived