Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. John Stewart

TWilson

John Stewart just passed away due to complications of a brain aneurysm. Some of you older duffs (like myself) may remember him as a member of the Kingston Trio. He joined when Dave Guard left. He also turned out some fine albums as a solo performer and was an excellent songwriter. I just reaquainted myself with him last year when I stumbled across a CD of his old "Phoenix Concerts" album. I have several LPs, yes vinyl, that I'm going to find and play in his honor. He was married to a lady named Buffy ford who also sang backup for him on some of his albums. "California Bloodlines" was a good album. Anyway, 68 is too young to go. I'm sure he had a lot more music in him.

John Stewart was the ultimate guitar picker, singer-songwriter and had been a hero of mine since I was a mere 9 year old. I don't think many realize his 13 albums with the Kingston Trio and his +40 solo albums had a profound effect on their guitar playing and singer-songwriter talents. John Stewart was a musicians musician who influenced countless musicians both directly if they knew of his on-going musical journey throughout the years or indirectly, by being unknowingly influenced by someone who was. Why he never achieved superstar recognition has long been a matter of discussion as it was always a mystery. But, he never stopped writing and playing music and along the way

he was fortunate to have Capitol, Warner Brothers, RSO, RCA, Shanachie, Appleseed, as well as backers of his own indie labels to always give him backing to keep his musical art going as they too saw his artistic, if not commercial, value. Plus, he had a devoted cult following and life long fans he gained from his 6 years with the Kingston Trio. And, he was lucky enough to get the Monkees to record a song of his (that in no way represented the high quality of his other work), but paid the bills through the years and somehow became known worldwide as well as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star because even his throwaway hit writing had something special in it.

I had the pleasure of speaking with John about music (once we spoke for three hours straight) and on various occasions after his concerts when he was in my region. The man was a joy and a musical genius and will be missed. We can only hope his music will now live on.

QM

Yeah. I saw John Stewart twice (not counting his Kingston Trio days). Once in 1971 at the semi-famous Cellar Door in Washington, D.C. and again a couple of years later in the student union at Idaho State University on a night where they let everyone in free because it was 26 below outside. There were about 12 of us, sitting on the floor. John played his whole set like it was a full house. I always thought his planet wasn't quite in the same orbit as the rest of us, but he stayed true to his vision when maybe he could have gone south and become Lindsey Buckingham or somebody. Here's to ya, John.

And "Daydream Believer" is a damn good song, in spite of what's been done to it.

BS-I agree about "Daydream Believer". When I first heard it on one of my J. Stewart albums I didn't even connect it to the Monkees. I didnt' even start really appreciating him until he left the Kingston Trio and changed back into himself! "Run dog run, you can't catch the sun but you can try."

Archived