Gibson Brands Forums

Cant decide what kind of pickups...

Belzeebub

A ouple of relevant points. If you want your LP to sound like a Gibson, I'd recommend Gibson pickups. For the style you say you're looking for, I'd recommend the 490/498. The good news is that the 'stock' elitist pickups (the 50r & 60t) are identical to the Gibson 490/498 (the reason I've never replaced the pickups in any of my elitists). So if you can get a good deal on the elitist pickups I think you're problem has been solved.

Gibson pickups are great pickups but expensive. SD and DiMarzio have a boatload of great pickups, too, that will be cheaper than Gibsons but won't sound 'like a Gibson'. If you want bang-for-buck, check out GFS.

If you want your LP to sound like a Gibson' date=' I'd recommend Gibson pickups. For the style you say you're looking for, I'd recommend the 490/498. The good news is that the 'stock' elitist pickups (the 50r & 60t) are identical to the Gibson 490/498 (the reason I've never replaced the pickups in any of my elitists). So if you can get a good deal on the elitist pickups I think you're problem has been solved.

Gibson pickups are great pickups but expensive.[/quote']

I got 50sr and 50st (USA Humbuckers) in my Broadway Elitist. Love the warm mellow sound of those,

and I also will never replace those. Whos got the good deals on elistist pickups?

So you are saying that the 50sr is equivalent to the 490r? Now does anybody know if these are the

same or similar to the 57 Classics?

Since elitist pickups have been mentioned here being similar to Gibson's 490/498, in what way are they similar? Does Gibson make these elitist pickups the same way, same materials, less windings? Do they sound the same as the 490/498? Or does Epiphone just slap a sticker on the elitist pickups that says "Made by Gibson USA" without it really having anything to do with the Gibson pickups? sorry for the many questions, but Im on a very limited budget for this and I want to do it right as much as possible from the start.

Thanks for the many insights that you all have posted so far and i do read every one of them and take them into consideration.

Archived