Gibson Brands Forums

Epi G-310 Sg

hughes08ALCY

Hey guys i was just wondering what your thoughts were on the sg-310. i just got one from MF on thier stupid deal of the day last week (199.99 with VJ amp, stand, bag, cables,etc.). it will be my first electric guitar but i have played acoustic on and off since 2000. the acoustic guitar is not a full size one. i know i got a great deal but how about the guitar?? i have had my eyes on it for awhile at guitar center and it played very well for me. my budget was only about 200-300. thanks.

The G-310 is a pretty nice guitar. The open coil pickups make for a hotter sound than covered pickups. The main difference between the G-400 and the G-310 is the set neck. The G-400 has a set (glued) neck, and the G-310 has a bolt-on neck. There have been debates over which is better, but it comes down to preference. Overall it's a nice starter guitar, and a VERY nice price on that deal. Congratulations and enjoy the guitar and the VJ.

i just want everyone to know that i plan on playing a lot of classic rock( cream, black sabbath, clapton) and some rock (ACDC ) is the amp and guitar going to be good for that.. i thought it would but i don't know. And one more thing.. it seems on all of the other forums people say that the 310 is the biggest pile of S@&% and that the g400 is better than a gibson. anybody care to comment on this?

some people squabble over the issue because some beleive the pick-ips are crap while that is true in some cases thats nothing a little dough and a nice set of pick-ups cant cure and also the bolt on neck vs. the set (glued) neck sometimes its better to have a bolt-on neck because you get more versatility as in you can adjust the neck to a nice stature as opposed to set necks which if set badly can cause very bad /tonal,playability problems.

Any guitar can be a POS if it's not setup decently. The 310 is no exception. Alternatively, most guitars can be setup to be good performers in the right hands. To say that the 310 (or any other model) is a straight up POS is immature and ill informed. It is, what it is. A budget priced guitar for those on a budget. The G400 is generally a better guitar out of the box. It has good upper fret access due to the set neck, argueably better pickups and more closely resembles a real SG in appearance. Neither of these 2 guitars are better than a Gibson SG in standard form. You could probably modify the 400 with different pups and pots etc to make it better than what it is standard, but it was never intended to compete with a Gibson and in most cases won't. I own a G400 with stock everything. I dressed the frets and gave it a good setting up and I'm happy with it. Run it thru a few pedals and into a decent amp and you wouldn't know what I was playing.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the VJ/G-310 combo as well and at first, I was a little miffed that the body was multi-ply and that the wiring was done poorly, however, I fixed the wiring and set it up...and it's really not bad...especially compared with some guitars I have bought in the lower price range. The frets are good with the 13th fret being the only slightly high fret and other than the pickups,IMO,the guitar sounds pretty good. It rings out when played without an amp and sounds alot like an SG should...until I plug it in...then the pickups ruin it for me. So instead of being disapointed I am excited that I will get to try a set of GFS 59's in it. I play it alot and I just know that with my slightly modded VJ it will sound great with the new PUP's.

Archived