Gibson Brands Forums

solo help!?

joshyguitar93

hi i tend to rest my hand on the guitar's bridge when playing solos is there anything wrong wiv that? does anyone else do it?O:)

Nothing wrong with it. You can even use it as an effect. Play muted notes. Carefull tho, you don't want it to sound like country... :-s

Actually that's a palm mute technique, often used for rhythm but as Ricochet says you could use it for a lead effect. Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane, palm muted. You rest your palm against the bridge, just barely over the saddles but not enough to stop the strings from ringing out. When you play you get a fatter tone.

What I do is I rest the butt of my palm (right above my wrist) on the edge of the bridge, and rock over as I pick higher strings. When I pick higher strings, I mute the lower ones that way; when I pick the low E I have to tilt my palm away, which unmutes that string. I also hold the pick with my thumb and middle finger, which helps me reach this way. This never mutes the string I'm playing, it always mutes the lower one (and my fretting fingers mute the higher ones).

For rhythm my hand is floating (not touching the guitar) so it doesn't matter; though sometimes I try to do rhythm with precision (strum the TWO STRINGS I want to play, not all the muted ones), which requires a kind of floating lead technique; when you play fourths and fifths in lead you might want to float too. I find that when playing faster lead (like shredding) I'll try to keep anchored, and switch into floating JUST when I need it.

Adjust the technique to taste if it suits you.

Also on the tailpiece, are you picking like DIRECTLY above the lower humbucker or something? Or do you have a single pickup guitar? That's the only way I can do that. Besides the pickup being in the way and the resistance being higher there don't see a particular problem here. Try picking around frets 12-17, you'll probably notice the tone's far more mellow; around where you're probably picking it's a lot sharper attack than where I'd be picking (settled between the two humbuckers on my les paul), which is a good sound if that's what you want (I do sometimes!)

I may adopt your technique for certain styles.... [-o<

Actually that's a palm mute technique' date=' often used for rhythm but as Ricochet says you could use it for a lead effect. Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane, palm muted. You rest your palm against the bridge, just barely over the saddles but not enough to stop the strings from ringing out. When you play you get a fatter tone.

What I do is I rest the butt of my palm (right above my wrist) on the edge of the bridge, and rock over as I pick higher strings. When I pick higher strings, I mute the lower ones that way; when I pick the low E I have to tilt my palm away, which unmutes that string. I also hold the pick with my thumb and middle finger, which helps me reach this way. This never mutes the string I'm playing, it always mutes the lower one (and my fretting fingers mute the higher ones).

For rhythm my hand is floating (not touching the guitar) so it doesn't matter; though sometimes I try to do rhythm with precision (strum the TWO STRINGS I want to play, not all the muted ones), which requires a kind of floating lead technique; when you play fourths and fifths in lead you might want to float too. I find that when playing faster lead (like shredding) I'll try to keep anchored, and switch into floating JUST when I need it.

Adjust the technique to taste if it suits you.

Also on the tailpiece, are you picking like DIRECTLY above the lower humbucker or something? Or do you have a single pickup guitar? That's the only way I can do that. Besides the pickup being in the way and the resistance being higher there don't see a particular problem here. Try picking around frets 12-17, you'll probably notice the tone's far more mellow; around where you're probably picking it's a lot sharper attack than where I'd be picking (settled between the two humbuckers on my les paul), which is a good sound if that's what you want (I do sometimes!)

I may adopt your technique for certain styles.... :^o[/quote']

well yer i do sorta rest my hand in between the bridge and the tailpiece i find i can get alot faster and yes i have 2 humbucking pickups on my guitar

Archived