Gibson Brands Forums

Question For Elitist's Owners

vince a

At 4:00 today, I have an appointment to test drive an Elitist, and since I am a die-hard Fender man, and know nothing about Elitists - other than they are Epiphone's best - and what I've read on the Epi Website . . .

Is this a good purchase? Price wise???

2005 Epiphone Elitist - faded Cherryburst

Upgrades include: Tone Pros bridge; American pots and cap(s); Fretboard Plekked

Comes with Elitist case, all paperwork, and original sales receipt.

Stated as in "mint condition"

For $775???

Oh, one final question . . . I have an original set of Gibson '59 pickups . . . good swap or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance . . .

It sounds like one of the 'old' standards- i.e. solid maple cap instead of veneer. Even without the upgrades this is a very good deal. I believe they were $1099 when they were still available. They blew out the last half-dozen or so at MF for $799 (when I got mine).

It's a good price on a great guitar that you can't buy anymore. I'd jump all over it if there's nothing noticably wrong with it (scratches, dents, etc).

Vince,

That's a pretty good price if it is indeed mint. I purchased a faded CSB last year off eBay and paid $800 + shipping. It was listed as mint, but I think it was actually new. Had all the stickers on it and plastic on the handle of the case. Couldn't find any marks on it at all. Here's a pick....

bab6_3.jpg

It's a good price on a great guitar that you can't buy anymore. I'd jump all over it if there's nothing noticably wrong with it (scratches' date=' dents, etc). [/quote']

Agreed.

By the way, the pups it comes with are fine. They are Gibson USA pick ups and seem to be equivalent to the widely used Gibson 490 R/T combo, so there's no NEED to change them. The 490's are similar to '57 Classics, but are a little hotter and emphasize the mids more. Whether you keep the stock pups or swap them would be a matter of personal preference.

If that guitar is good condition, grab it! Elitists are not only Epiphone's best, they are among Gibson's best, too.

Red 333

No way you'll regret buying that baby, and with a PLEKed neck it's sure to be one awesome player. Like they say, the stock pickups are apparently equivalent to the 490R/498T (and they sure sound like it) which will give you the 'modern' Gibson sound; I'd only pop in the '57s if you are looking for something closer to the 'vintage' Gibson tone.

Archived