Gibson Brands Forums

Antique Ivory Special II

SlagJones

I have come upon two Limited Edition Antique Ivory Special II with zebra pickups. It seems that one is heavier than the other. Could they be made out of different wood? What else would account for the weight difference? Though I haven't actually put them on a scale to see the exact difference, one definitely seems heavier when I pick it up.

Am I just crazy? Scratch that, I know the answer to that question. :-/

No, you're not crazy. No two pieces of wood, even of the same species, are alike and there is always a range of densities to be expected, depending on a variety of growth factors. We have two G&L Tribute ASATs in our store right now and one of them feels like it's twice the weight of the other yet they are both made of ash.

Does anyone know what years this guitar was produced?

Any general opinions on the Special II?

I'm really new to guitars and I know it's pretty much a cheap starter guitar but I really like it. What can I look forward to in the future if I decide to get a Studio or Standard? Ultimately I'd like to get an alpine white Custom but right now, I'm very happy with learning on the Special II.

Does anyone know what years this guitar was produced?

Any general opinions on the Special II?

I'm really new to guitars and I know it's pretty much a cheap starter guitar but I really like it. What can I look forward to in the future if I decide to get a Studio or Standard? Ultimately I'd like to get an alpine white Custom but right now' date=' I'm very happy with learning on the Special II. [/quote']

They've been making the Special II for years... at least since 1999 if not earlier.

As entry-level guitars go, they're pretty much above reproach. I actually prefer the ceramic pickups in the Specials to the Alnicos in the higher-end guitars; they seem to have better definition. The neck on this and other guitars such as the LP-100 is well made and very playable. You have a good TOM bridge and a solid stop tailpiece, just like the high-end stuff. About the only real failing would be the tuners; you may eventually want to upgrade these. It has a plywood body but at this end of the scale that's not such a big issue, especially considering the great low price on these things.

The way I see it, you've done exactly the right thing; hang on to that Special II and work on your chops while you save up for your 'dream' alpine white Custom. And if anybody puts down your axe, just dazzle them with your playing.

They've been making the Special II for years... at least since 1999 if not earlier.

As entry-level guitars go' date=' they're pretty much above reproach. I actually prefer the ceramic pickups in the Specials to the Alnicos in the higher-end guitars; they seem to have better definition. The neck on this and other guitars such as the LP-100 is well made and very playable. You have a good TOM bridge and a solid stop tailpiece, just like the high-end stuff. About the only real failing would be the tuners; you may eventually want to upgrade these. It has a plywood body but at this end of the scale that's not such a big issue, especially considering the great low price on these things.

The way I see it, you've done exactly the right thing; hang on to that Special II and work on your chops while you save up for your 'dream' alpine white Custom. And if anybody puts down your axe, just dazzle them with your [i']playing[/i].

Thanks for the good words! I'll keep working towards that Custom!

As far as when the guitar was produced, I mean specifically the Limited Ed Antique Ivory version with the zebra pickups. Do you know when and how long those were made? Thanks!

I mean specifically the Limited Ed Antique Ivory version with the zebra pickups. Do you know when and how long those were made?

All I know is that they offered a LE Special II with zebra pickups in 2005 as one of the 'Guitars of the Month' but it was wine red. The antique ivory ones were probably a special order by MF or something; nevertheless figure around 2005/2006 (which you should be able to verify from the serial number). They were probably a one-off run.

I don't know how long this will last' date=' but if you order by phone from Musician's Friend, and give them source code 803T, you can get the Antique Ivory Les Paul Custom for $399.[/quote']

Thanks!

Sigh... even at $399, still out of reach. Someday...

Archived