Gibson Brands Forums

Build your own Acoustic from mahogany?

mrjones200x

Hey there ive played a few diff acoustic guitars but still only have a cheap one (Aria) and was wondering as im quite technical if it would be possible to make an acoustic guitar from all mahogany? Would it work and sound nice? Be exspensive to do tho.

Reason i ask is i remember being told about an epiphone mahogany accoustic guitar from the 80's. Dont know how much was mahogany tho?

Anyone here built there own with any ideas or input?

Thanks

You'll find that mahogany adds a warm and woody tone. If that's what you're after, then by all means. Traditionally mahogany is used on classical guitars. Some have spruce tops for a more bright tone. The choice is yours. And yes, while building your own guitar is satisfying it ain't like buildin' book-ends.

[/i just sold my 30 year old Epiphone NO 245 protype. It was one they made for Japan to produce when Epiphone was sold in 78. The guitar was a mini Jumbo 12 string. All mahogany, including the neck with a laminated spruce/maple top/soundboard. This guitar was the most mellow sounding 12 string I have ever heard. It didn't have the tinny sound most seem to have. Nice and even and held tune increadably well. Light or extra lights worked best and without neck adjustment. Every one who played it contributed the sound to the solid mahogany neck.

Saddly, I didn't play it much and went to blues, alt, etc..so I went electric to get an old Joe Pass.....b

If your going to build one, good luck. Not all clamps are created equal, not all parts fit right so you may need a steamer and other speciality tools. Unless your going to make more than one, it usually cost more to make one than purchase one and improve it.

Archived