Gibson Brands Forums

VJ power tube swap

Any suggestions for a power tube swap for the vj? I hear great things about the JJ...anyone have any experience with the Mullard reissue? It's around $15...not the high dollar ones. What type of sounds will I come across with the different tubes? Thanks.

Tung-Sol tubes sound nice. JJ sounds good too. The JJ 6V6 has a better crunch than a Tung-Sol, but I'm not sure about the Tung-Sol 12AX7 versus the JJ. Tung-Sol doesn't make an EL84.

Try a Tung-Sol 12AX7 with a JJ EL84 if you like, experiment around a bit ;)

Any suggestions for a power tube swap for the vj? I hear great things about the JJ... What type of sounds will I come across with the different tubes?

If you are looking for more clean headroom and better lows/mids vintage rock/blues tone' date=' then go this route 1st:

Tung Sol 12AX7 gold pin (reissue) preamp -- and JJ EL84 power tube. Others members highly recommended it to me and I'm passing on this great advice. It's cheap (comparatively) and the difference really is night and day.

In fact, VJr. is so good with this tube combo, I'm a bit surprised that EPI isn't selling it as a classic rock/blues tube upgrade kit in music stores everywhere! With the volume EPI could buy they could undersell every other supplier out there and do all of us blues/rockers yet another favor -- selling us VJr. at an affordable price being the first favor.

To help fill in my tone equation for you:

-- my ver. 3 VJr. is stock (tube upgrade only)

-- EPI LP Elite (most often)

-- 1 or 2x12 cab with an Eminence Cannabis Rex (best blues speaker in its price range IMO) and Peavey Blue Marvel (also quite good & overlooked/under-rated IMO).

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on =P~

Is that the Tung Sol ECC803S?

Yes' date=' it is. The best deal on it and the JJ EL84 that I found (as of 6-8 weeks ago) was an Ebay company called "Virginia Tube Audio." You will like the result if vintage rock/blues tone is your bag.

At least one other forum member also recommends a 5571 (reissue) preamp for an even greater amount of clean tone. It has something like 30% less output. I have not tried one yet -- and may not given that my clean headroom is right where I want it now -- a little dirty above 10 - 11, dirty enough through 2-3, outstanding crunch to full.

[u']HIGHLY SUGGESTED READ[/u]: OBED's topic here on "ending the pedal dance" if you want a terrific guide to using the VJr to its fullest potential.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

At least one other forum member also recommends a 5571

5751, and they can be had either NOS or new production. They are about 30% lower in gain than a 12AX7. You might try a JJ 803S as well. That one is about 10% lower in gain.

You can also try a 12AT7, although it does have a narrower frequency response than the 12AX7, so it'll sound less full. Your best bet for a 5751 would probably be a JAN Phillips.

Ooops - typo - my bad. Thanks "m" for the pickup.

Just checked my records and "snpower" is the Ebay dba of Virginia Tube Audio. They stocked the 5751 and 12AT7 also.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :-

Been looking on ebay and I can't find them (Virginia Tube). If somebody does' date=' can you post a link?[/quote']

correction on name = snpower227 or Virginia Tube Audio

store link = http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsnpower227

Looking back at my post, I failed to include the 227. Apologies for any inconvenience.

As of my last order, they had better prices all around than either "eurotubes" or the other internet sources I checked based on other member's recommendations..., but that can change day-to-day, so good luck.

I will add that the person I dealt with was very knowledgeable and that snpower227's service (I had a special request) and care in shipping were 1st class all the way.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on #-o

Archived