Gibson Brands Forums

New VJ Dead?

Hello all,

So I just received my VJ from Musicians Fiend and it is dead right out of the box. Tubes are good and glowing, hearing a slight power hum from the back but no sound. I cleaned the fuse contacts and tested the 16, 8, and 4 ohm outputs in the back and they are receiving no voltage whatsoever :) ???

Any other ideas anyone might have with similar issues? I had read on other forums about VJ's being dead out of the box but if I can avoid the hefty wait times and shipping costs by fixing it myself, I would much rather take that route. Cheers guys for any and all help

Patience, you only posted the topic an hour ago and you're already making conclusions that nobody knows the answer.

Although I don't know the answer because I'm not very knowledgeable (and don't own a VJ..............yet) about amps.

Someone here probably knows an answer, or can give you a suggestion. Don't give up the amp though, if it doesn't work, get a new VJ, they are nice amps (but I don't own one.............yet).

Hey Copper,

Thanks for the reply but I posted it about 2:15 prior to your post :-k lol

Yeah I will try n fix it here regardless and I will wait n see if anyone has any suggestions. There have been numerous people who were in my shoes when their new VJ arrived.

Well a lot of VJ's end up that way; they are usually an easy fix but sliding the amp out of the chassis (esp since they glue it in now beside screws) may void your warranty.

but it may have just been one of the cables that popped off during shipping, if you wanted to take the back cover off it has 7 screws and there are 4 under the black caps on the top that hold the amp to the chassis.

If you can slide it nicely out and check the connectors that may have come off. If the little connector to the volume control came off there would be almost no sound (cGil/Lay both reported sound even with the volume control disconnected although I can't see how).

Sounds like you read a few posts here that you knew enough about the glowing tube question and the fuse holders :-k

If reseating the doesn't fix it (or if you didn't want to get into it) send it back and have them swap it..

BTW muscian's friend says the Palomino V32H is discontinued, although a very nice 30watt tube head

(wow I just changed my search on MF web site.. they had the Palomin v32 on sale for $260 but not you can't order it, wah)

Cheers for the reply Jen =)

It is possible that the volume connector did come off but that would not explain why I am not getting any sort of voltage off the 16, 8, and 4 ohm ports on the back. =( I will try to slide it out and see if it is glued in or not.

In regards to the Palomino, I nabbed the last one today with the cab. The head was a blem model but I got it for $260 and the cab with 2x12 Celestions for $230! :-k

I mean look at this beauty =P

476654.jpg

They do still have it here for $299. Not sure how reputable they company is however. The head is now sold out and discontinued so I can see it becoming a collectors item over time. Supposedly, via all the reviews and comments I have read about it, it sounds and plays as well as a $2000+ boutique head. MF says my head and cab are currently being packaged =D

http://www.wholenote.com/item--MF.480988

BTW you do know that you can't run a tube amp with out a speaker load other wise you toast the output transformer.

Good score on that Palomino V32H .

Yeah for sure' date=' it will not hurt it if I turn it on and test it but I did not leave it on, or will it? I tested the outputs via a guitar cord.[/color']

not a chance without a load the ot will go and we're not talking minutes here (we're talking seconds).

and never use a guitar cord to a) plug a speaker to an amp and ](*,) use it to test for voltage from the speaker out.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on any the amp forums state they were testing the voltage out of their speaker jacks.

(I saw that wholenote.com site, notice they are using a MF480988 part number, I think they source from musicians friend)

OMG it exploded!! LOL joking... =P

Well testing an output jack with a volt meter can be tricky as if you ground out the positive, it can fry it for sure. Using a guitar cable allows you to safely touch the ground and positive without fear of crossing them.

I just got it working by the way =D Took the board out and pushed down on all the female wires onto the PCB and voila, all working like a charm and sounds kick *** through my old 8 ohm '56 Jensen speaker. Woot! Cheers Jen!

yeah I noticed that after about the wholenote.com listing...man I lucked out..the price hurt me all over for now but in the long run I will not regret it!

Archived