Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Question

I just answerd a "what model is this?" post in the bass section and the serial number is confusing on this one. Seeing as I have the same bass, I am now curious about it. I'm posting here because, well, this board gets more traffic and technically its a SN question, not a bass question. That, and there are a lot of knowledgable folks that hang out in the guitar section.

The model & serial are:

Expert6 - S4051001

One less digit than a normal Epi SN.

No, it wasnt made in 1940

No, its not on Guitar Dater Project

Yes, its a real Epi.

I'm trying to find out the year and where it was made. I'm guessing the Samick plant, due to the "S".

Also, this instrument was made in the 90's - clearly no obvious indication of that in the SN.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

I just answerd a "what model is this?" post in the bass section and the serial number is confusing on this one. Seeing as I have the same bass' date=' I am now curious about it. I'm posting here because, well, this board gets more traffic and technically its a SN question, not a bass question. That, and there are a lot of knowledgable folks that hang out in the guitar section.

The model & serial are:

Expert6 - S4051001

One less digit than a normal Epi SN.

No, it wasnt made in 1940

No, its not on Guitar Dater Project

Yes, its a real Epi.

I'm trying to find out the year and where it was made. I'm guessing the Samick plant, due to the "S".

Also, this instrument was made in the 90's - clearly no obvious indication of that in the SN.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

[/quote']

Samick May 1994

Archived