Gibson Brands Forums

Strings Need Help

Coyote

I have a AJ200 Epiphone, and I love it. The problem I am having is that my old guitar liked Dean Markely Blue steel acoustic strings in lite. These strings are a real bad fit with the Epiphone AJ-200. They sound horrible. I am new to Epiphone guitars, but have been playing for about 5 years (Acoustic and electric) My questions are:

1. What do you guys recommend for stringing an Epiphone acoustic?

2. I am having trouble finding Custom lites in Blue steel, why wont stores stock them? They are fairly close to factory strings for Gibson in size, unless I am mistaken.

Thanks in advance for your help.](*,)

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Glad you could stop by.

1) I've currently got Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Lights on my Epi EL-00 and really dig it. Next I'll try some Martin 80/20 Lights. It really does come down to what your ear prefers.

2) I have no idea.

I have an EJ160e and strung it the same as my other guitars with 12s. It always sounded stiff. I didn't realize until a couple years on that it is the longer scale neck than my AJ45, and others. By mistake I bought 11s and tried them and the guitar just opened up.

As said it is subjective, but I think the AJ200 is the same longer neck so try a gauge one lighter than you would use one time and see if it makes any difference on that guitar.

I didn't realize until a couple years on that it is the longer scale neck than my AJ45' date=' and others. By mistake I bought 11s and tried them and the guitar just opened up.

[/quote']

Is yours the older model AJ-45 with the shorter neck scale? Mine is a recent model(2006) with the longer scale.

Is yours the older model AJ-45 with the shorter neck scale? Mine is a recent model(2006) with the longer scale.

Mine is the older one. The series from 1998, I think they only made a couple of years. Replaced the bridge, keys, nut. It is not a J45 but it is close. I used to own a J45 and the Gibson was sweeter, but the Epiphone is real close.

Archived