Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Joe Pass: Tailpiece Tomfoolery

SoloTy

Well this answered a bunch of questions I had....I'll be re-doing mine holding the centerline and I'll see how it looks! So much for presuming the factory did it for a reason......Kinda pisses me off in retrospect....oh well at least it's a cheap archtop and the screw plate will cover most of the boo-boo's!

The biggest problem when drilling new holes for a re-positioned tailpiece---

The NEW holes will be so close to the original holes that the screws will probably go thru both holes.

Then the mounting holes will be too large (loose screws).

I've encountered the same situation when changing tailpieces...with the new holes being too close to the old ones...

That's one reason I elected to use an L-5 tailpiece on my last mod...I was able to raise and mount the new TP above the old holes, and the back plate still covered the original holes....

Guitar manufacturers cause a lot of headaches when they build and sell a guitar with a warped tailpiece or one with a TP that was screwed down off center. Generally, most people won't notice that problem until they've had the guitar for some time...and have finally zeroed in on the cause of their intonation/tuning problems.

This situation must happen quite often as I've had several crooked TP's, even on high priced guitars and read about many more people encountering the same issue.

If I were in charge, (lol) I would use TP's with slots instead of holes...then the alignment concern shouldnt be an issue.

Adjust the TP left or right and tighten the screws :-) The alignment procedure could then become a routine part of "setting up" the archtop (and compensating for movement of the wood, if that has occurred)

The biggest problem when drilling new holes for a re-positioned tailpiece---

The NEW holes will be so close to the original holes that the screws will probably go thru both holes.

Then the mounting holes will be too large (loose screws).

I've encountered the same situation when changing tailpieces...with the new holes being too close to the old ones...

That's one reason I elected to use an L-5 tailpiece on my last mod...I was able to raise and mount the new TP above the old holes' date=' and the back plate still covered the original holes....

Guitar manufacturers cause a lot of headaches when they build and sell a guitar with a warped tailpiece or one with a TP that was screwed down off center. Generally, most people won't notice that problem until they've had the guitar for some time...and have finally zeroed in on the cause of their intonation/tuning problems.

This situation must happen quite often as I've had several crooked TP's, even on high priced guitars and read about many more people encountering the same issue.

I'm much more at home with solid bodies ...but I'm pretty new to modding archtops....and from my limited experience everything you've said sure makes sense to me! Thanks....nice to know it's not just me or my guitar.

If I were in charge, (lol) I would use TP's with slots instead of holes...then the alignment concern shouldnt be an issue.

Adjust the TP left or right and tighten the screws :-) The alignment procedure could then become a routine part of "setting up" the archtop (and compensating for movement of the wood, if that has occurred)

[/quote']

Archived