Gibson Brands Forums

Fret rattle on my new flying v

Hey guys I just brought a Epiphone korina flying v and I was stoked a v was all I've wanted since I started playing but when I got home and plugged it in the fret rattle was just unbearable I've tried fixing the action and the rattle stops to a degree but by that time the action gets so high that it makes is awkward to solo. Any help on what I can do I don't want to sell it but I cant play it if it cant be fixed!

hopefully, you havent touched the bridge. Usually, all this needs is some minor truss rod adjustment. That is what Ricochet is referring to. I had some fret buzz with mine in the lower frets (5th fret down to first) and all that it took to get rid of it is to turn the truss rod to give some "relief" and slightly bow the neck.

If you look down the neck from the nut, the neck will either be straight or flat, slightly bowed upward like looking over a hill, or have a slight dip in it like a valley.

You can adjust neck so that it gets rid of the upward or downward curviture. There are many sites on the web that describe how to do it correctly. If in doubt, take it to a reputable guitar tech.

We have all been there.

Archived