Gibson Brands Forums

Dumb Question, I know....but what is diff between Hummingbird and Historic collection Hummingbird?

onewilyfool

Dumb Question' date=' I know....but what is diff between Hummingbird and Historic collection Hummingbird?

I'm still not familiar with all the nuances of the different incarnations of these guitars.....any education would be appreciated...[/quote']

I'm not sure if anyone knows all of the difference, but it would help to know which one you'd like to compare to the HC? Are you asking about the True Vintage Hummingbird or the Modern Classic Hummingbird?

I think the major differences between the "regular" Hummingbird and the "Historic Collection" Hummingbird are:

Nickel-plated Grover Rotomatic tuners (Hummingbird)

Gold-plated vintage-style Gotoh tuners with plastic tulip buttons (Historic Collection Hummingbird)

Original red translucent Hummingbird pickguard, engraved and hand-painted (Historic Collection Hummingbird)

Hummingbird pickguard, tortoise-shell colored, with clear protective layer over the artwork (Hummingbird)

"Historic Collection" decal, base of the peghead

I don't recall the details clearly, but IIRC there was some question about the scale length of the Historic Collection Hummingbird, it was perhaps 25 1/2" when the specs actually called for 24 3/4", ????? (Fred Shrimer, are you there?)

...real acoustic guitars are cherry red and have little birds on the pickguard...

...real acoustic guitars are cherry red and have little birds on the pickguard...

amen to that brother!

so my 1993 H-bird has HC on the sticker inside. does that mean histoic collection?(enter obvious tag here i am sure)...

the initials HC have a line to themselves on the gibson sticker in the soundhole....

but my tuners have like a greenish-tan heads.....anyone know?

Archived