Gibson Brands Forums

Am I the only one that has a so-cal 50? Has anyone ever had to bias theirs???

Welcome to the forum!

Some of us here would really be interested in your pros/cons critique of the So-Cal. What does it do best, cleans/distortion? I bought a VJr. ver. 3 last year and am thrilled with it. I would like to know if the So-Cal more or less matches its tone at club gig volume levels, plus any other points to consider.

We're mostly "totally tubular" lovers here so stick around and thanks for your input.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on #-o

Hey Steven!

We are going to jam a little today as a matter of fact. I'll let you know about the 50. To me, so far, it's seem like a

winner. Not over the top distortion, but good for 70s/80s/ rock. It has a good 'tube' tone and I like the contour control. I wish it had an effects loop. It doesn't. I'm sure the right person could add one.

The little JV's are very impressive! Will it do club gigs? I'd like to pick one up sometime just to have.............

Chris

Epiphone's customer service department was kind enough to send me the Socal 50H schematic.

The amp is adjustable fixed bias. Depending on the brand of tubes that come with the amp and the stock factory settings, it may be a good idea to have a tech adjust the bias for better tone. The good news is that Epi put in a adjustable pot to set the bias. Some amps just have a resistor that needs to be swapped out to set the bias, which can be a PITA.

Some amplifier manufacturers are known to bias the amp on the cold side so that the tubes last longer. This doesn't necessarily mean that Epi does this. Bottom line: the only way to be sure is to have a tech check the bias. This isn't something that you want to do yourself without amplifier safety knowledge and experience. It is too easy to damage the amp (or more importantly yourself) if you don't know what you're doing.

You will definitely have to have the amp re-biased when you change the output tubes.

tung

Thank you very much for that piece of information!!! I really appreciate it! I'm thinking of installing an inline bias kit where all I have to do is hook it to a meter and adjust the pots. Actually should be pretty simple and safe at that. Thanks again for your efforts to get the schematic and see what is was for me.

Chris

Tung, I have one more question......Where are the pot(s) in relation to the exterior of the cabinet? Are they accessible from out side or do you need to remove the chassis every time you need to bias? Thanks.

Chris

Could you send the schematic if you don't mind???

Chris,

I've never seen a Socal 50 in person, just the schematic. I would guess from looking at the pictures that the bias pot is on the PCB. So you'd have to remove the chassis every time you wanted to change the bias.

As far as the schematic is concerned, since the amp is still in production, I'd rather that you requested it from Epi's customer service:

Customer.Relations@gibson.com

HTH,

tung

Tung' date=' I have one more question......Where are the pot(s) in relation to the exterior of the cabinet? Are they accessible from out side or do you need to remove the chassis every time you need to bias? Thanks.

Chris

Could you send the schematic if you don't mind???[/quote']

The little JV's are very impressive! Will it do club gigs? I'd like to pick one up sometime just to have.............

The VJr. is quite loud for only 5 watts. But clubs...' date=' probably not, unless of course you run through the club's PA. Small bars, yes it can/will do dirtier/distortion leads. The clean tones are quite good but not really enough volume there to be heard over your drummer. More of a studio or garage band tool, but it is a great tool to have and at an unbelievable low price. Buy one..., but make sure it's a VERSION 3! They are head/shoulders better than the earlier versions.

Tung has given you the low-down on your technical question..., he's really good that way (as are a lot of other forum members). Stick around and share your So-Cal 50 expertise with all of us.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :-({|=

Archived