Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul LTD Birdeye maple top, few questions about it.

elwarsnake

I want to know what you guys think about this beauty.

http://http://oferta.deremate.com.ar/id=19957782_epiphone-les-paul-korea-birdy-eyes-2-emg-erigido

Is this a real maple? It is mint and it comes with original case. Less than 700 u$s (66% of this is import taxes)

Do you know about this EMG pickups

Is so much better a Les Paul Custom Korean than this one?

Thanks.

It looks pretty nice, but for $700 US it's not that great of a price. I don't know what you pay for them new in Argentina, but in the US, guitars like that would cost new about $600 max . If that's a decent price compared to what it is new, then go for it.

The maple cap isn't real. It's a mahogany body with a alder cap (probably) and a birds eye maple veneer.

EMG pickups are probably okay, they're not the active ones.

If you have a chance, try it before you buy it, most people on this forum would recommend doing that. If the price is right, then go for it.

The maple cap isn't real. It's a mahogany body with a alder cap (probably) and a birds eye maple veneer.

So is it a plastic layer? Price is ok for here, since it´s in perfect condition and there are no new guitars like this here. Thanks.

Hey Elwar, that's a veneer on very probably an Alder cap...I know that cuz Spud say's it's so, I'd let that guy work on my guitars anyday that I can't get Zach (my techy) to do the work...'course Canada is a bit of a commute from where I sit...

Yes, it's very much like the one G&F is playing (the blue one) except for the pickups. I've got a red wine LP like that. Alder or not, it's a great sounding guitar. Don't know anything about those EMG passives but I wouldn't shy away from the guitar at all.

It's not a plastic veneer but rather a very thin sheet of maple.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the alder top sounded. No complaints here. And I tend to think the Korean LPs are a cut above the Chinese one's I've seen so far.

Yes' date=' it's very much like the one G&F is playing (the blue one) except for the pickups. I've got a red wine LP like that. Alder or not, it's a great sounding guitar. Don't know anything about those EMG passives but I wouldn't shy away from the guitar at all.

It's not a plastic veneer but rather a very thin sheet of maple.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the alder top sounded. No complaints here. And I tend to think the Korean LPs are a cut above the Chinese one's I've seen so far.[/quote']

+1.

I dunno, I've seen some real duds comin' out of China, they got the bigger peghead i just can't get used to, the abnormally large neck heel, just some things they need to iron out on those...but then again, I've heard some people rave about the Chinese guitars.

But I think the Korean ones were a little more consistant, at least as far as buld goes, the Chinese guitars have a lot of variations.

Archived