Gibson Brands Forums

DIY boost pedal for my VJr

wpkg

Hey guys

A little while back (maybe even on the old forum) I had received a tip from one of you on a do it your self clean boost pedal that gave up to 35db of boost. it had a name and a link and was about 20-30 dollars in parts. I've tried searching and can't find it. does anyone know the pedal Im speaking of?

thanks

There's a monster thread brewing at SEwatt on distortion pedals. There's not supposed to be given that it's a SE tube amp site, but moderating a forum full of guitar players is sort of like herding kittens. Anyway, the thread seemed to drift toward rangemasters and clean boosts, so I'm pretty sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for being discussed in there at some point in time or another. If not, just ask! Lots of useful pedal website links in it, too.

http://www.sewatt.com/node/16995

Gil...

A little while back (maybe even on the old forum) I had received a tip from one of you on a do it your self clean boost pedal that gave up to 35db of boost. it had a name and a link and was about 20-30 dollars in parts. I've tried searching and can't find it. does anyone know the pedal Im speaking of?

That was me, and it was the mosfet boost...a VERY nice, VERY clean boost.

The minibooster is amazing as well, although not a "clean" boost...it's definitely got some grit, but it's very nice and fat (this was the circuit that Fulltone used for the original "Fat Boost,").

GGG has boards for these and many other builds.

Jack also has PCBs for both of these circuits on his AMX-FX site. Also, check out his blog, and bookmark it. He puts great information up there.

Thanks copper and gil.

copper I would like to know more about the ds-1 to clean boost mod...

Okay, it's super easy.

All you have to do is open it up and unsolder diodes 4 and 5. It is super easy and it really clean with the distortion at 0. You can still crank the distortion and get some gain, but not as much as stock.

And with the modded DS-1, you still have effective tone, gain, and level knobs. I'm extremely satisfied with mine. If you get a used one, even better.

I think I got the mod from indy guitarist FX Freaks thing.

If you do it, let me know how you like it.

Okay' date=' it's super easy.

All you have to do is open it up and unsolder diodes 4 and 5. It is super easy and it really clean with the distortion at 0. You can still crank the distortion and get some gain, but not as much as stock.

And with the modded DS-1, you still have effective tone, gain, and level knobs. I'm extremely satisfied with mine. If you get a used one, even better.

I think I got the mod from indy guitarist FX Freaks thing.

If you do it, let me know how you like it. [/quote']

yeah if I snag a used one i will try that!

and to you and m theory, how do you like boost compared to an overdrive pedal? im looking for more gain and sustain.

Do a search for the AMZ Mini Booster, you'll be glad you did, I built one and man it really gives th VJ some serious clean headroom. I would choose to build the buffered version, you can obtain a parts list from the site that you can paste into Mousers order form. Good luck.

Do a search for the AMZ Mini Booster' date=' you'll be glad you did, I built one and man it really gives th VJ some serious clean headroom. I would choose to build the buffered version, you can obtain a parts list from the site that you can paste into Mousers order form. Good luck.[/quote']

Mini Booster instead of the mosfet booster from the same site? do you know the differences between the two? I found the schematics for both but not a real description of what the mini does differently than the mosfet booster

and to you and m theory, how do you like boost compared to an overdrive pedal? im looking for more gain and sustain.

All three would give you more gain and sustain, assuming you're running the amp hot to begin with. It all depends on what "flavor" you want added to your tone, if any. A clean boost will generally only give you boost. A treble boost will boost highs, obviously. An O/D typically bumps mids a bit. A minibooster adds girth and some grit. They're all useful, and it's impossible to call one "better" than the others.

Mini Booster instead of the mosfet booster from the same site? do you know the differences between the two?

The mosfet is a true clean boost, that's not going to color the sound, just provide boost. The minibooster will "color" the sound, by making it "fatter" and adding a bit of grit. You could actually use this as an overdrive, provided you can deal with the volume increase that comes with the grit. There's a variation of this circuit on GGG that has gain, volume, treble, and bass controls, called the "Fat Boostered." Another version has gain, volume, and tone controls, like the original fulltone version.

All three would give you more gain and sustain' date=' assuming you're running the amp hot to begin with. It all depends on what "flavor" you want added to your tone, if any. A clean boost will generally only give you boost. A treble boost will boost highs, obviously. An O/D typically bumps mids a bit. A minibooster adds girth and some grit. They're all useful, and it's impossible to call one "better" than the others.

The mosfet is a true clean boost, that's not going to color the sound, just provide boost. The minibooster will "color" the sound, by making it "fatter" and adding a bit of grit. You could actually use this as an overdrive, provided you can deal with the volume increase that comes with the grit. There's a variation of this circuit on GGG that has gain, volume, treble, and bass controls, called the "Fat Boostered." Another version has gain, volume, and tone controls, like the original fulltone version. [/quote']

Thanks, im gonna go with the mosfet. I like the way my guitar sounds both pickups on 6, just need that to cut through more, and get more gain. if i use the volume knobs the sound really changes on me, not in a bad way, just different.

though 35 db of boost sounds like a lot!

though 35 db of boost sounds like a lot!

It's massive. Cranked, the mosfet boost will crush the front end of the amp.

FYI, there's one bit of oddness with that circuit that you should be aware of, because it can be corrected, if you desire. The vast majority of boost "bunches up" at the very end of the pot throw, if you use the recommended 5k linear pot. The cure for this is to use a reverse audio 5k, rather than a standard linear 5k.

It's not a huge issue, though. The circuit works beautifully with either pot, it's just that you have more range control with the reverse audio pot. I leave mine pegged all the time, so it's moot.

You'll love the circuit. It works magic. It'll also work as a very nice buffer to drive excessive cable lengths. After you've played around with it for a while, build yourself a minibooster too!

Let me know if you need any help with this. Take care with the BS170...they're succeptible to both static and heat damage. If you're not using a socket, use a heat sink on the transistor, or just make sure that you're moving fast with the iron. Don't doddle around on those leads, and make it the last thing you put in place, to limit exposure to heat. Not trying to freak you out with this, just make you aware. I've built several of these, and have yet to fry a mosfet myself, so I suspect that it's not all that easy to do.

Archived