Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe I'm just dim!

Ranger

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member here and have some queries about my Epiphone SG. I wanted to attach some photos but can't for the life of me work out how to do it. I'm probably being a bit dim but could someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Hi Guys' date='

I'm a new member here and have some queries about my Epiphone SG. I wanted to attach some photos but can't for the life of me work out how to do it. I'm probably being a bit dim but could someone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Steve.[/quote']

Pics are always good Steve but Info about your guitar may help in the meantime. For pics you just cut and paste bro.

Welcome to the forum - best one around. Pepole are great and very knowledgeable and helpful. Stick around bro, you'll like it !

Cheers Bud, I've tried that but for some reason I don't get the option to paste. If I'm honest I have had this problem once before several weeks ago. I might have to restart my computer to clear a glitch so if I seem to disappear for a little while please don't think I'm being ignorant!

Anyways the crux of what I want to know.

Several years ago I bought an Epiphone sg and after a couple of years I put it away and concentrated on a Telecaster thin line style that I built myself but now I've dug it out again and would like to learn more about it. I think it's a 1997 g400 made at the Unsung factory in Korea but don't know for certain. I notice the newer models have a different set of machine heads (Silver as opposed to my Snot Green colour!) and and they're a different shape, mine are unbranded. I've read a lot about grovers etc and 18:1 ratios and was just curious as to what mine might be. I'd also be interested to know what pick ups might be installed (and if I ever get to working out how to include pics you'll see that at some point I disabled one tone and one volume control - to make life a little less complicated! - and now I'd like to put it back to how it should be), I've read about Alnico V but don't really know what that means. Any info that might be offered would be great.

I'm going to log out now and restart my computer so if I'm gone for a while please be assured I'll be back!

Thanks,

Steve.

Thanks guys,

I have to cofess to not being the most computer savvy guy in the world but this not having access to to a copy/cut paste is quite a new situation on my computer. The last time I tried I managed to solve the problem by just re-starting the computer. I'll see if I can get a space on photobucket (or similar) and let you know how I get on in THIS thread. Thanks again to you both, I look forward to being here and learning lots and maybe offering a little bit where I can.

Cheers,

Steve.

Photobucket is great.

First you upload to photobucket, then you right click on the pic and copy the url (only up to the part that ends in: .jpg). Then when you post it here, you click the Image icon (w/ the mountain & sun... 6th from the left). When you click that you'll get this: {img][/img} . Then you paste your photobucket url in the middle of {img] [/img}. So it would look like this: {img]your photobucket url[/img}. Then when you click Post at the bottom, viola! You've posted a pic.

I used { & } to represent [ & ] above. When you post pics, do not use { & }... use [ & ] instead. Clear?

Good luck

Oops! Sorry everyone, I didn't expect them to quite so big! If anyone is clever enough to make them a bit smaller please feel free to do so. Anyway if anyone can tell me anything about this guitar or it's history I'd very much appreciate it. It plays really well but can be slightly muddy at times. I'm using a Kustom 40 watt amp from years ago. I also have an old Fender 112se but it can be too loud at times.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hehehe! Many thanks frpax I really appeciate everyones help and their patience.

OK so here's a little more about the situation.

I think this is made in the Unsung factory in Korea in 1997. It was my first 'proper' guitar and I loved it. I got a bit fed up with the two lots of controls and simplified it all to run off a single set but now I'd like to put it back to how it should be. I reckon I can probably find a wiring diagram on the interweb easily enough but if anyone has one I'd be happy to give it a go. I then went to night school and made a telecaster thin line style guitar that just took me over and I hardly ever got the SG out but lately I did and and realised how much I like it after all. I've sorted out the sction the way I like it and it plays and sounds really nice. I'd just be interested to know things like whether it really is a g400 or a 61 re-issue or whatever. I'd also be interested t know about the machine heads. pickups and anything about the Unsung factory in general eg what other models do they make etc. Just general info really. I've read lots about muddy pickups and was curious to know if anyone recommends changing them but to be honest I think I wouldn't as I quite like them the way they are I just wondered what all this alnico V stuff is all about and if that is what I have. I think it stems from ALiminium, NIclke and CObalt but don't know if that's right or not and what does the V represent? Anyway if anyone can offer ANY info I'd verymuch appreciate it no matter what it is. I've also started making an acoustic with a pretty radical design (think single cutaway. pointy head stock and triangular soundhole!).

Anyway many thanks to all who might be able to offer up any pearls of wisdom. I hope I might be able to contribute a bit more than questions from time to time. I've had a good look around the forums and it seems like a really good place populated by nice people.

Regards,

Steve

Hehehe! Many thanks frpax I really appeciate everyones help and their patience.

Anyway many thanks to all who might be able to offer up any pearls of wisdom. I hope I might be able to contribute a bit more than questions from time to time. I've had a good look around the forums and it seems like a really good place populated by nice people.

Regards' date='

Steve[/quote']

Congrats on getting the pics posted. It is, as you stated a 97 G-400, Production # 0734. Great guitar, the control cavity looks pretty clean. You will get alot of info on pickups here by searching the topic in the forum. That will give you access to all the past threads about pickups and will probably give you more info than you want.

The acoustic you are working on sounds great, post pics of that when you get a chance. People are great here, I've made some good friends. Don't worry bout the quieries, contribute whenever you feel like it bro !

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everything. That looks like a great site for diagrams. I'm off work for a couple of days so guess I'll be trying out the wiring stuff tomorrow.

I've had another look around and discovered lots of info already (you're such a knowledgeable bunch!)

I'll be happy to put up a couple of pics of the acoustic I'm building but it will have to wait until later this evening. I'll put them in THIS thread if that's OK.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Hi Guys' date='

Thanks for everything. That looks like a great site for diagrams. I'm off work for a couple of days so guess I'll be trying out the wiring stuff tomorrow.

I've had another look around and discovered lots of info already (you're such a knowledgeable bunch!)

I'll be happy to put up a couple of pics of the acoustic I'm building but it will have to wait until later this evening. I'll put them in THIS thread if that's OK.

Thanks again,

Steve.[/quote']

Look forward to it, glad if we could be of help !

Those are Alnico pickups. Probably an earlier version of the ones they use now; around 1999 they started with the 'designed by Gibson USA' pickups but yours aren't going to be that bad either. Those 'snot green' tuners were standard on Epi electrics such as the G-400 and the Les Paul Standards until around 2002 when they switched to the Grover clones. If you want to know where they are made, try one of two things. 1) remove one tuner and see if it says 'Japan' or 'Korea' on the plate. 2) see how many turns of the key it tales for the post to do one complete revolution. If the plate says 'Japan', or it takes 15 turns to do one revolution, those are Gotoh tuners, good quality. If it says 'Korea' or it takes 14 turns, then they are still OK although not as good as the Gotohs.

The G-400 is loosely based on a 1962 Gibson SG. However if you put the two side by side you'll see a ton of discrepancies in the Epiphone. Ah well; whaddaya expect for $400?

Hi Guys,

Well here I go again with the pics, I'm hoping they might be a bit smaller this time but if not bear with me, I'll get there eventually!

th_IMG_0795.jpg

th_IMG_0796.jpg

th_IMG_0797.jpg

th_IMG_0798.jpg

th_IMG_0803.jpg

th_IMG_0804.jpg

th_IMG_0805-1.jpg

th_IMG_0809.jpg

th_IMG_0810.jpg

th_IMG_0811.jpg

th_IMG_0805.jpg

I really like the Tele style one and it's the one I made a few years ago that rather left my SG out in the cold for a while and it became my main guitar. It's all hand shaped woods from blocks as opposed to a kit guitar. All the hardware is, however, bought in as I couldn't make those bits. It has a bolt on neck. Sorry for the lack of a D string too (guess it makes a change from the G!).

The woods are flamed Maple and Ash for the body, birdseye Maple for the neck with a Walnut Skunk stripe. Kent Armstrong pickups with a stacked single coil sized humbucker in the bridge position with a pull pot for control. I thought the thicker (than usual for a thin line style) top might help to reduce feedback which can sometimes be a problem and so far I've been proved right. It has two acoustic chambers cut out although one is fully enclosed.

The acoustic is still very much a work in progress and consists of Indian Rosewood back and sides, Spruce top. and I really can't remember what the bracing and kerfing is. I might have used a light Mahogany for it's strength but I'm not sure. Because of the rather unusual design it took a long time to work out the dimensions of the soundhole and the general construction of the bracing etc. I basically used the old double X system and the four x two machine head placement caused some head scratching as to stresses that might be caused. ( I guess I'll find out eventually just how successsful my calculations have been!). I'll be installing an under saddle pick up (I have it somewhere in a back bedroom but can't lay my hands on it right now to tell you what it is). It's a project that so far been a couple of years in the making so don't expect any great revelations soon. I also reckon I'll soften the point as my bassist is rather concerned I might take his eye out on a small stage, Hehehe!

Just before I clear off I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone for the support so far and for making me feel welcome here and to RotcanX for his latest input. I bought theSG here in the UK about 10 or 11 years ago and it cost me somewhere in the region of £350. In todays' money and my trusty currency conversion chart, that works out at close to $700! Bet you're glad you live there huh? You really don't want to know what we'd need to pay or a Gibson SG on this side of the pond!!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived