Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Production Numbers (1996 S310)

RedHouse

I posted on this forum before because I was looking for an Epiphone S310. I had to make a new username because I forgot what I used before. That was a while ago and I have since bought two of them (one of them is newer HSS setup).

What I'm curious about is the serial numbers on the back of the 1990's S310's (strat style). The serial numbers are setup like this: K610XXXX. My first electric is a black S310 with the bat wing headstock, a maple neck and SSS pickup setup. I bought that in 1996. I love it and I still play it. I just installed three Dimarzio pickups and it sounds great. I found another one on Ebay just like the one I have. It arrived today and I just compared the serial numbers. They are consecutive! For instance: K6101111 and K6101112. Was the next guitar in line given the next number?

So, twelve years later, have I really found the guitar that was built right after mine?

Spookular...

Thanks,

Justin

I posted on this forum before because I was looking for an Epiphone S310. I had to make a new username because I forgot what I used before. That was a while ago and I have since bought two of them (one of them is newer HSS setup).

What I'm curious about is the serial numbers on the back of the 1990's S310's (strat style). The serial numbers are setup like this: K610XXXX. My first electric is a black S310 with the bat wing headstock' date=' a maple neck and SSS pickup setup. I bought that in 1996. I love it and I still play it. I just installed three Dimarzio pickups and it sounds great. I found another one on Ebay just like the one I have. It arrived today and I just compared the serial numbers. They are consecutive! For instance: K6101111 and K6101112. Was the next guitar in line given the next number?

So, twelve years later, have I really found the guitar that was built right after mine?

Spookular...

Thanks,

Justin[/quote']

Welcome back bro. That's the way I would see it, but don't take that as definitive. How bizzare is that ?

That is pretty wild. The odds against that happening have to be astronomical. The only time I've seen something similar was when I ordered my G-400 Maestro; we ordered two of them, one for me and one to put on the wall and they had consecutive serials.

Go buy a lottery ticket.

You are right, I should get a lottery ticket! I was going to modify this guitar (pickups, body color, etc.) since its been a little abused, but under the circumstances, I'm inclined to keep it original. Maybe I'll change the pickups but everything else should stay the same.

I should send this to Ripley's Believe It or Not....they thrive on useless trivia. 8-[

That's funny because I thought I heard Rod Serling doing a monologue behind me when I checked the serial numbers.

"A young boy enters the harmonies of music by means of a new electric guitar, crafted worlds away in a harmless factory. Three pickups, a black body, and a maple neck…hardly a connotation of evil; just a stringed instrument disrupting sleeping sound waves. Twelve years later, this guitar is still being enjoyed by what is now a young man, who is eager to get his hands on another one just like it. He could not have come closer…for he found the identical guitar that was made right after his, twelve years ago, and it came with something extra; something indescribable. Identical in appearance but not in presence. A presence which construes an evil that will take him another world away, into, the Twilight Zone."

Archived