Gibson Brands Forums

Complete GFS Upgrade - am I missing something?

Wuchak

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading and learning a lot on the forums. I was thinking of doing an upgrade to my LP Standard Plus Top. I would like to put an RS wiring kit and a set of Fire Sound pickups in it but I hate to put $270 + installation costs into a $500 guitar. I was thinking of taking the cheaper route and going with an upgrade using just components from GFS.

I would use their:

-USA Les Paul toggle switch

-2 of the Push-Pull DPDT Pot- 500K for volume/split controls

-2 of the Full Sized 250K Audio Pot- Alpha Brand for tone controls

-Switchcraft Style 1/4" Mono Jack

-Sprague Orange Drop Tone Caps- .022uf

-Vintage 59" Nickel Classic Alnico V- Humbucker

-Vintage 59 Nickel Neck Position Humbucker.

I can have all of the above delivered for $125. I'm guessing $30 for installation (checked with local shop) and for under $200 my guitar could go from nice sounding to very, very, nice sounding.

I like to play classic rock, 80's hard rock, blues, and some clean fingerpicked stuff. I really like a nice fat, warm, round tone.

Is there anything I'm missing from my upgrade list? Has anyone tried this upgrade with all the GFS components? Does anyone think it really is worth double the price to go with the higher end stuff or is that quality of electronics kind of wasted in the Epi?

Edit: I was also thinking of putting the 59 in the neck position and a FAT PAT in the bridge. I thought the combination might get me a smooth tone from the neck for blues stuff and a crunchier sound in the bridge for harder rock stuff. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Wuchak

I'd get the 500K pots for tone, which will actually be for the volume. If you are splitting the coils you will use the push/pulls for the tone. I got the 3 way switch from GFS and they are okay, but my recommendation is go with either a Switchcraft or All Parts. Same with the 1/4" jack, go switchcraft. I could tell a big difference in the jack. The Epi jacks just don't click in nearly as nice as the switchcraft ones.

I have used their Alpha pots and Orange Drops on several of my guitar and they work great. If you have any soldering skills, this is not that hard of a job to do. GFS gives you a good diagram to work with for soldering up everything. You can also get a diagrams from Seymour Duncan. Here is the diagram I used for push/pull pots.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w_2pp

Hi Everyone' date='

I've been reading and learning a lot on the forums. I was thinking of doing an upgrade to my LP Standard Plus Top.

I would use their:.....

-I can have all of the above delivered for $125. I'm guessing $30 for installation (checked with local shop) and for under $200 my guitar could go from nice sounding to very, very, nice sounding.

Is there anything I'm missing from my upgrade list? Has anyone tried this upgrade with all the GFS components? Does anyone think it really is worth double the price to go with the higher end stuff or is that quality of electronics kind of wasted in the Epi?

Edit: I was also thinking of putting the 59 in the neck position and a FAT PAT in the bridge. I thought the combination might get me a smooth tone from the neck for blues stuff and a crunchier sound in the bridge for harder rock stuff. Thoughts?

[/quote']

Well I've done a few mods with GFS components mostly. My custom built Legacy (LP type) is primarily GFS and so is the custom built Tribute semi-acoustic (see avatar) with the LR Baggs t-o-m. I'm using the GFS Vintage 59 in the neck and the Fat PAF in the bridge with push-pulls to split the coils. The LR Baggs t-o-m is a piezo and I have a battery operated Ctrl-X to allow mixing of the humbuckers and the piezo.

The 2 inch thick LP type uses open coil vintage 59s on both neck and bridge and they sound good.

I used a GFS Wilkinson style roller bridge and a GFS tailpiece as well as their chrome tulip (keystone)

tuners which are excellent and at a good price. Their USA style 3 way is good, haven't had any trouble

so far, but I'm using a genuine Gibson 3 way on the 3 inch thick semi-acoustic. I'm not crazy about

their jacks though. I've had to get the switchcraft version for one.

As far as you asking if a high quality components are wasted on an Epi. I would have to say that high

quality components are NOT Wasted on an Epi, they make it sound better and with less trouble.

However, if you are on a budget and want a good sounding guitar, then GFS should be make your

guitar sound better than with the stock components.

Archived