Gibson Brands Forums

Epi WildKat

Just Strum

A member over at another forum commented that he came across a WildKat that interested him. I wasn't familiar with them so was doing some research. I stumble upon one and buy it (will arrive later this week).

Anyway, can someone tell me what these guitars weight? I was attracked to it because of it's size, but I have searched all over Google and cannot locate the weight.

Oh, this is my first post so I am not sure of the locations to post, so hopefully I used the right spot.

Currently own an Epi Dot (a go-to guitar), just sold an Epi SG, and as noted, I have an Epi WildKat on it's way. Also have an modified Epi Valve Jr. I have other toys, but that is my Epi line up.

Sign on is Just Strum, most call me Strum or Strummy.

Cool guitar' date=' questionable name.[/quote']

OK, for everybody that has seen dbirchett & I parrying back & forth about this "name" thing:

dbirchett is an alumnus of Arizona State University. In fact, he was born & raised in Tempe, AZ (home of ASU) as well.

Seeing that there is, has been, and probably always will be an intense rivalry between Arizona State & The University of Arizona (located in Tucson, AZ), and that the mascot of UofA is "Wildcat".

dbirchett has an accute aversion to anything that has anything to do with the City of Tucson, and certainly anything that bears any resemblences (real or imagined) to UofA & their mascot. Said aversion usually includes all other PAC-10 schools, but UofA certainly catches the brunt of it.

Dearest friend, have I accurately encapsulated it? #-o

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strumster: According to amazon.com, they weigh 15.4 pounds (link: http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-WildKat-Electric-Guitar-Translucent/dp/B0002GZSHW)

I find this hard to believe. From what I've read, they are considerably lighter than a Les Paul, and that the weight is comfortable, but several reviews I've read say that it is a tad neck-heavy.

I hope this helps in some small way.

~Frank

OK' date=' for everybody that has seen dbirchett & I parrying back & forth about this "name" thing:

dbirchett is an alumnus of Arizona State University. In fact, he was born & raised in Tempe, AZ (home of ASU) as well.

Seeing that there is, has been, and probably always will be an intense rivalry between Arizona State & The University of Arizona (located in Tucson, AZ), and that the mascot of UofA is "Wild[b']c[/b]at".

dbirchett has an acute aversion to anything that has anything to do with the City of Tucson, and certainly anything that bears any resemblences (real or imagined) to UofA & their mascot. Said aversion usually includes all other PAC-10 schools, but UofA certainly catches the brunt of it.

Dearest friend, have I accurately encapsulated it? :-s

~Frank

Somewhat. I don't have an acute aversion to ANYTHING that has to do with the City of Tucson or even the uofa (Almost went there, twice and my dad and brother are alumni). After all, my daughter was born in Tucson. But for something as intensely personal as a guitar, to have named a wildcat would be hard ... very hard! A Wildkat is a little easier but ...

However, after my birthday, I guess I'll just have to. ;^P

OK' date=' for everybody that has seen dbirchett & I parrying back & forth about this "name" thing:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strumster: According to amazon.com, they weigh 15.4 pounds (link: http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-WildKat-Electric-Guitar-Translucent/dp/B0002GZSHW)

I find this hard to believe. From what I've read, they are considerably lighter than a Les Paul, and that the weight is comfortable, but several reviews I've read say that it is a tad neck-heavy.

I hope this helps in some small way.

~Frank[/quote']

Frank,

I saw that and I was thinking that might be a shipping weight. If lionel is correct, 8.5 lbs is awfully decent for that guitar. I felt my SG was neck heavy, but in most cases I'm sitting and because of the SG I purchased a strap with the textured underside so the guitar doesn't slip.

I purchased this guitar based on some video and reviews. Normally I check them out at a local store before looking at the used market. Having sold my SG, Ibanez ARC300 (I made a mistake selling that one) and a set of drums, I had the money burning a whole in my pocket. My goal someday is to get a Gretsch, but this one jumped out at me and the rest... well, a lot of you know the rest of that story.

Now for the rivalry, I live on Ohio (Buckeyes), enough said.

Thanks all for the info.

Strummy: I thought that would be shipping weight also, but then I read further that shipping weight is 30 lbs.!!! So that shot my brief theory down in a hurry.

When I read the reviews saying "neck heavy", the first thing I thought of was the SG. Since you had one, I'd guess that this will be a non-issue for you.

My goal is also to own a Gretsch someday. A 6120DSV, to be exact.

As for dbirchett poo-pooing what I wrote about his aversion(s), I can assure you that what I say is true!

Strummy: I thought that would be shipping weight also' date=' but then I read further that shipping weight is 30 lbs.!!! So that shot my brief theory down in a hurry.

[/quote']

I believe, and I will not state as fact, that once a package size (oh, that will get some comments) reaches a certain point the carriers (usually UPS or FedEx) default to 30 lbs. I believe the thought is they have to charge that due to the space it takes up on a truck or plane and they look at it as lost revenue. So the 15 lbs could be actually shipping weight and the 30 lbs may be billing weight.

Archived