Gibson Brands Forums

Sound Hole Pickup

shartom

I am not a fan of piezo pickups and was considering a sound hole pickup. I used a friend's Martin last night on a gig. He had installed an old Diamarzio sound hole pickup. It has tiny brackets on one side that fit over the edge of the sound hole. A curved spring holds it in place. I was playing it through a Genz Benz acoustic amp at it was one of the nicest acoustic sounds I have heard. I don't know if the pickup is still available.

Any comments?

I think I had something like that years ago...had a thumb wheel at one end? Anyhow not sure which particular one you're referring too, LOL..pretty much they're all like you described. However there's sure no shortage of them though, plenty of sound hole PUs to choose from. Which ones are worth a darn...that might limit your choices.

...shoot!! Was trying to send you a link, but the fricking thing don't want to work right for me. Sorry

Anyhow I've been thinking of trying a sound hole mic and a under the saddle pickup combo myself......just seem to always have so much other BS going.

Try this one..

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Pickups.gc

I had no idea that there were so many sound hole pickups out there. The pickup on the Martin I was using is pretty old, and it did not make the guitar sound like an electric. It didn't have a volume control built in. We used a line out to the board from the Genz Benz. I tweaked the Benz until I got the volume I wanted. Nice sound.

Thanks for the info.

Archived