Gibson Brands Forums

Stickers Part II: Decal Work...yes or no?

The_Sentry

I saw the topic on stickers, and instead of hijacking that thread, I thought I'd toss this one in.

Here's the deal: I know this guy who details fishing rods. Basically, he can take a pole, put some awesome graphic designs on 'em and even letter 'em, and does a fantastic job on the refinishing of the fishing rods after he's done. He also offers custom decals that don't have to have the finish over 'em...

But eh, what's the point of that? You want that stuff to LOOK like it was put there.

So...here's what I'm entertaining: On one of my Epiphones (the Standard with the straight black headstock...), I'm thinking about having the guy do some custom stuff up there...including throwing the name of the guitar over the Epiphone emblem, and where it says "Les Paul Standard" putting some sort of diamond as seen on the customs, or even the branch that is seen on the archtops.

Question: Do you think I should do it? It won't be cheap, but it will look awesome when done. Also...have you ever had something like this done to one of your guitars before?

I use waterslide decals when I do custom necks. Shoot a couple coats of clear lacquer then apply the decal. Shoot enough coats over it to level it, wet sand, polish and it looks great.

Question: Do you think I should do it? It won't be cheap' date=' but it will look awesome when done. Also...have you ever had something like this done to one of your guitars before? [/quote']

Go for it if you don't care about resale value. I'll bet that would look awesome. I entertained the idea of doing that. But I like the the clean look of my guitars better.

Archived