Gibson Brands Forums

I have my Firefly.

And i'm satisfied. paid $150 for an amplifier that blows away any new amplifier for that price (list price was $450 i believe)- and the previous owner hadn't ever used it!

i just wanted to share one thing: i was playing the stairway to heaven solo today, it was sounding how you would expect it to, and then i realized that i was using my neck pickup with the tone knob turned all the way back. previously with my guitar (a washburn oe30) that setting would get very muddy and unusable when distorted. not anymore.

and if i recall right, the negative reviews for the firefly 30 dsp said the dirty channel was muddy? not nearly as muddy as a set of 2" logitech speakers...

glad to finally have something made by epiphone.

EDIT: the extension port on the back says 8 ohm min, could i run a valve jr. cab off of that? i don't want to have to lift anything more than a single 12" speaker cab at a time...

Glad to hear you like it, don't think anybody here got too excited since its a Solid State amp, but I think there are a few great sounding small ones out there. As to your question, since its SS, you can pretty much go with any ohmage you want as long as you're not running high power (hundreds of watts). SS circuitry is pretty good at self-adjusting and only thing you'll notice is maybe a decrease in efficiency.

Archived