Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone

JCParay

Gibson vs Epiphone really should be covered in a sticky note post. Everyone wants to know what the forum members think and i would think that the moderator would welcome a properly crafted post covering this issue.

We all have agreed sometime or another that:

1. The craftsmanship on a Gibson is generally a little better than the Epiphone, but not by much. And, the materials are a lesser grade, but the tone is almost the same.

2. Gibson pickups are better when overdriven than the Epiphone pickups. The Epi pickups are great played clean.

3. The hardware is better in terms of plating and craftsmanship. Most people install an aftermarket bridge.

4. Gibson action is set up better from the factory and will generally allow lowering the action below factory specs. With the advent of the PLEK machines in the Gibson factory, this should get even better. Epis are known to sometimes have high frets that require some adjustment

5. All in all, an Epiphone is at least 90% as good as a Gibson for a fraction of the price, especially when adjusted to suit the player. Once a few hardware changes are made, this number can rise to 95%, in the opinion of the forum members.

Gibson vs Epiphone really should be covered in a sticky note post. Everyone wants to know what the forum members think and i would think that the moderator would welcome a properly crafted post covering this issue.

We all have agreed sometime or another that:

1. The craftsmanship on a Gibson is generally a little better than the Epiphone' date=' but not by much. And, the materials are a lesser grade, but the tone is almost the same.

2. Gibson pickups are better when overdriven than the Epiphone pickups. The Epi pickups are great played clean.

3. The hardware is better in terms of plating and craftsmanship. Most people install an aftermarket bridge.

4. Gibson action is set up better from the factory and will generally allow lowering the action below factory specs. With the advent of the PLEK machines in the Gibson factory, this should get even better. Epis are known to sometimes have high frets that require some adjustment

5. All in all, an Epiphone is at least 90% as good as a Gibson for a fraction of the price, especially when adjusted to suit the player. Once a few hardware changes are made, this number can rise to 95%, in the opinion of the forum members.

[/quote']

I'll add:

6. Gibson finishes are nicer than Epiphones.

Comments on the above: (1) Epiphones are generally produced using sophisticated CNC machines, so they are consistent, and the ones I have owned have been consistently good. Epi uses unfigured wood while Gibson is partial to figured maple, but from the audience it looks the same. (2) Pickups are easily replaceable: I have Seymour Duncans in my Sheraton II. (3) No comment necessary. (4) Epiphones are structurally as robust as Gibsons, so that good setup is possible. It's not surprising that Gibson spends more time setting theirs up. (5) I have around $400 US invested in my Sheraton II (bought used), including the SD pickups, all new wiring and components, and some trim items like creme pickup rings. I'd agree that it is about 95% compared to a friend's ES-340, but the difference in price is enormous -- and he can't modify his without affecting its value. The Epi is worth more than I paid for it, and is a great sounding and playing axe, especially through my Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. I can gig with it without worry, it looks great when I play it in church (did so just last Sunday, in fact) and it looks very classy with its natural finish. Up close you see that the wood is not better than average, but until someone drops a blond ES-335 on me, I'll continue to play it.

FWIW, I also own a '70 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that's been my main electric since '97, so I have something to compare the Epiphone to.

This topic has been around a while. I have 5 Epiphones and one Gibson LP Studio. There was only a few hundred doller difference between the Studio and my Sheraton.

The Studio had a number of minor flaws which I was able to correct. The Sheraton had none at all.

The build quality of the Seraton is better than the Studio...neck binding and other small details.

The biggest difference is in the pickups. I actually played a 335 when I bought the Studio and noticed that the Sheraton pickups were brighter. The Studio pickups have a lot more depth, presence....hard to pin down.

The only weakness with regards to the electronics has been the pickup selector switch. It gets a little noisey when not used for a while. The pots and wiring are fine. I know there seems to be a big rush on to replace all of the electronics on the Epi's. The pots on all of mine except the Speicial are fulls size. The tone pot taper on my Epi's is better than on my Studio. Totally rolled off, the Studio tone is too bassy. Different caps are going in.

I looked at the wiring and pots on my studio. The wiring was identical to the Epi's. The pots had "Gibson" stamped on them, so who knows where they came from.

It all comes down to try it and if you like it, buy it. All of our opinions a pretty subjective. Meant to keep this short.

Just_Robbi' date=' Have you considered buying used from a reputable international seller on Ebay or similar? [/quote']

Thanks for everyones help.

I know everyone has been saying Gibson is better than Epiphone but what frustrates me is as that the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul is MORE expensive that some Gibsons Les Pauls ive seen, ie. Studios, BFG etc...

Ive yet to see an explanation for this.....

Also If anyone knows of a good reputable ebay international seller please let me know.

Thanks again for your patience....

Rob

.....Epiphone Elitist Les Paul is MORE expensive that some Gibsons Les Pauls ive seen' date=' ie. Studios, BFG etc...

Ive yet to see an explanation for this.....

[/quote']

Nevermind - just read the posts regarding the extinction of the Elitist range and the pricing issues....it answered my above question.

Epiphone are great guitars for the money - hard if not impossible to beat the value. Especially when you get your hands on one that really sounds and plays well. And with upgraded pickups and electronics, make for just awesome instruments.

With that said, I traded in my 2 Epiphones on a Gibson SG that just fit me to a tee (nice narrow neck) and played just beautifully! The trade-off of getting rid of 2 really good guitars (really had nothing wrong with them, but for maybe slightly thicker than my liking necks) for getting my hands on a great one.

There are good and not-so-good Gibsons just like there are good and not-so-good Epiphones. Just gotta find that right one for YOU.

cheers

Archived