Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Radio

Just Strum

Take a listen

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

Click on Saturday Night Blues

or Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap - Mountain (this is a mix of music that focuses the songs and discussion around a specific guitar)

They posted this over on the other forum and the Vinyl Tap show is really interesting. Tonight he's discussing Strats and next week it's Gibson's solid and hollow-body.

tune in or listen online...all times NYC

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/netcast.html

Tuesday's Just as Bad

Tuesdays, 11:30pm-1am

This program makes up the more acoustic half of WKCR's two blues shows. Tuesday's Just As Bad draws from an extensive library of pre-WWII blues recordings to present a strictly acoustic first set. The second hour features more of a variety, with an emphasis on the blues masters of the post-WWII era. The approach seems to work well, as some listeners claim that they have been listening to the program for all twenty of its years.

Night Train

Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings, 1am-5am

One of two soul / rhythm and blues shows on WKCR, the Night Train, owing to its overnight time-slot, offers a rather adventurous selection. Everything from classic soul to soul jazz, from seventies funk to Afrobeat and Afro-funk are featured weekly. The main emphasis is on the groove and whether it's a familiar classic or an extreme rarity, we try to track it down and play it for you.

Something Inside of Me

Saturdays, 3pm-6pm

Whereas Tuesday's Just As Bad places emphasis on acoustic blues, Something Inside of Me, WKCR's weekend blues program, focuses more upon the electric blues recordings of the post-WWII era. The whole spectrum of blues recordings is covered, but as this show bridges the gap between our soul show and our swing-era jazz show, it lends itself to an emphasis on soul blues and jump blues.

American Music programming, exclusive of the jazz for which WKCR is famous, has been present on WKCR since the 1950's. The department was created by individuals who understood WKCR's mission to provide an alternative to the other types of music found on the radio. This meant making a home for the roots of American music (blues, gospel, old-time, etc), and this is where we stand today. The American department attempts to remain loyal to the traditional musical forms of America and to persevere in their presentation where other radio stations are more content to follow current trends.

When it comes to indigenous folk-derived American art forms, we strive to bring them to the public at any cost. Please read on to learn about the specific musical territory covered by each of our regular programs.

Special programming includes an annual country music festival around Valentine's Day weekend and an annual Blues Festival on Memorial Day weekend. From time to time, a soul festival has been known to occur as well.

Take a listen

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

Click on Saturday Night Blues

or Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap - Mountain (this is a mix of music that focuses the songs and discussion around a specific guitar)

They posted this over on the other forum and the Vinyl Tap show is really interesting. Tonight he's discussing Strats and next week it's Gibson's solid and hollow-body.

Tune into Under the Covers - playing some good stuff.

Just go to www.reciva.com and you'll find a ton of them. My personal favorite is:

1Club.FM - Blues Classics 65k MP3

They go back to Mamie Smith and the very early classic blues. Very soulful.

I'm not sure why, but I cannot pick-up most of the stations, including 1club.fm

Slow Internet connection?

DSL. I'm able to pick up one or two, but on many it's a software issue (?) When I try to go to the one you like, it says playing, but no sound (yes, my speakers are turned up).

Right now I'm listening to www.quest4blues.com/ that Dalron recommended - good stuff.

Archived