Gibson Brands Forums

Epi les paul custom and my short grover tuners ????

CajunBlues

I own a 07 epi les paul custom... and the headstock is 5/8 inches thick... So, the grover tuners that I have don't stick up over the headstock very much at all... in fact the eye hole for the string is almost against the headstock...

Does anyone else notice this ?? I don't think this will affect the performance of the tuners... But I don't know... Does grover sell a longer "rotomatic" tuner ?

I took off the snot green tuners on my Standard and replaced them with chrome Grovers bought from a guy who said they came off an Epiphone. I expected a perfect fit but had the same problem as you. I managed to get them to work by leaving out the washers but it was close. I guess headstocks vary quite a bit in thickness.

I own a 07 epi les paul custom... and the headstock is 5/8 inches thick... So' date=' the grover tuners that I have don't stick up over the headstock very much at all... in fact the eye hole for the string is almost against the headstock... Does anyone else notice this ?[/quote']

I ran into the same problem with my Epi Joe Pass with vintage Kluson green tuners as well.

They turned out to have only a 10-11mm long post and the hole for the string is

just high enough above the thick gold washer that I can get the bass string in.

The headstock on most Epis is about 17mm (.67inch) or a fraction over 5/8" thick.

To have the string post hole stick up you need about a 15mm long post (above the

surface of the headstock), this would accomodate the bushing or thick post washer.

The overall length of the tuner from the back gear surface to the tip of the post would be about

40mm or 1.57 inches to get a good height. This would give you a 15mm long post.

However, it is important as well that there is a string angle from the post to the nut

on the headstock end, so the post shouldn't be too high either.

I've been using GFS Chrome Kluson-Grover style " keystone" tuners with the threaded bushing and these

have long enough posts for my own two LP types. (5/8" headstock) Very reasonable

and the gear ratio is about the same.

They are about 37mm overall and the string hole is located higher up near the end.

The Grovers we get these days which are made in Korea all have shorter posts than their original American-made counterparts. They're about 1/16" shorter. Couple this with Epi headstocks which tend to be somewhat on the thick side, and you've got a problem. Either Grover needs to lengthen their posts or else Epi needs to go with a thinner headstock, as they did on my LP Special LE:

strung.jpg

The headstock on this one is only 1/2 inch thick and the tuners actually work on it.

Archived