Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone Guy...Wonderin What I Have...

Nihil

Well, I just picked up an Epiphone, haven't a clue what it is though, a friend of mines father in law passed away and had a lot of music equipment some, of which, was antique and of great value, the spouse wanted to get rid of it all so the daughters took most of everything, but sold me this Epiphone for 300 bucks and a Silver Face Twin Reverb, couldn't pass up that offer!

There's a Serial Number on the back, a sticker it's 881008066 which, when I looked it up on guitardaterproject.com it gave me this info:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

October c.1988

Production Number: 08066

I'm not too worried about anything other than knowing what the model is really, considereing it's an '88 made in korea, it couldn't be worth too much, but it'd be nice to know what exactly I have ha!

Here's a cell phone pic...it's all I got:

Epiphone.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Hi' date='

it's an 80's sheriton, nice guitar... that one looks the business. You can't beat an old guitar build quality should be pretty good on that too going on the year

enjoy[/quote'] Awesome deal, thanks for the info, I was browsin n came across some pics of a sheriton and thought to myself "hmm...looks like that" but a lot of guitars LOOK like others ha, especially when it comes to re-issues. It IS in great condition and sounds LOVELY through the twin reverb.

Is there anywhere I can find specs on that model or anything? Haven't checked yet, now knowing the model, so I'll search now, but thought I'd ask as well, thanks again!

Bigsby intall...good idea or bad idea? Decrease any value or collectors interest or not? I was thinkin the bigsby B12G if it's not a bad idea.....I DO like to keep things OEM but a Bigsby would look nice and I DO use tremolo often on my other guitars

Korean Sheratons are great guitars but not really collectors items that you need to worry about keeping stock or reducing their value. They're made to be played. If you want to put a Bigsby on it, put it on without worrying about it. There are videos on Youtube outlining the steps. Check out the B7, B70 and B700. They all have videos out there and they are very similar units.

I used a B7 on my Sheraton and outlined the steps here: http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3790

The B12G should be fine. It is basically the same unit as the B7 but with a different look to the body. Here is the B12:

trem_b12_L.jpg

And here is the B7:

trem_b7_L.jpg

The end piece (flap) on the B12 is actually similar to the B70 which may be a little cheaper:

trem_b70_L.jpg

Good luck and pictures are reguired. Before and after!

Korean Sheratons are great guitars but not really collectors items that you need to worry about keeping stock or reducing their value. They're made to be played. If you want to put a Bigsby on it' date=' put it on without worrying about it. There are videos on Youtube outlining the steps. Check out the B7, B70 and B700. They all have videos out there and they are very similar units.

I used a B7 on my Sheraton and outlined the steps here: http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3790

The B12G should be fine. It is basically the same unit as the B7 but with a different look to the body. Here is the B12:

[img']http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/images/trem_b12_L.jpg[/img]

Good luck and pictures are reguired. Before and after!

Awesome, that's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure before I went n did defacing to a nice lookin guitar.

When I looked on th bigsby website, this is what they've got for the B12:

trem_b12g_L.jpg

When I look up anywhere else online though, it always shows the pic you posted, they all pretty much look the same, except that, which is why I was leanin towards that one....any idea on that? Maybe it's an updated newer B12? Or just the arm is an added/changed one?

Nihil, you got yourself a great deal there. I would be interested in seeing some better pics if you get them.

As for the Bigsby, is there a reason you want one? Do you know that it is something that you will use? The reason I ask is that I have one on my Wildkat and to be honest I never really use it. It's nice that it's there, but for me it only is adding to the looks and serves no real functional value. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people put them to use and hopefully I will down the road - but for me it's not a must have.

Personally I like your guitar as is, but it's your guitar, not mine.

Nihil' date=' you got yourself a great deal there. I would be interested in seeing some better pics if you get them.

As for the Bigsby, is there a reason you want one? Do you know that it is something that you will use? The reason I ask is that I have one on my Wildkat and to be honest I never really use it. It's nice that it's there, but for me it only is adding to the looks and serves no real functional value. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people put them to use and hopefully I will down the road - but for me it's not a must have.

Personally I like your guitar as is, but it's your guitar, not mine.[/quote']

Yeah, I'd use it, and I like the added look...only thing that's a bummer is it didn't come stock with it so I'll have the two inserts from the hard tail and there's no way around that one, so I might leave it as is....I don't know yet.

I've got my old custom Jackson Dinky with a floyd rose and I use it a lot......I play metal mostly but I like jazzy bluesy stuff and surf guitar...wouldn't ya know it, I use the tremolo mostly for the other stuff and not the metal haha

Archived