Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone DR-100 Splintering ALREADY!?

nmycon

Hey all!

Im new to the forums and new to guitars. Im in Grade 9 and picked Guitar as one of my electives (i know, bla bla bla no one wants my life story) so anyways i've started learning some songs on my own, i learned Imagine (from the beginning to "a ha hahahaa"), the beginning riff of Wish You Were Here and im starting to get the hang of Good Riddance...

ANYWAYS!

Today I went out to buy my first guitar, i was searching for a cheap entry level guitar (i really wanted the John Lennon J160-E) and ended up getting the DR-100 (which kinda resembles Lennon's guitar) anyways, the salesman tries to give me the floor model but i said i wanted a new one, so he says they might have one left, they do... i get home and cant wait to play it, open it up, strum a few chords and... SEE SPLINTERS?!

Not completely sure about the anatomy of a guitar, but if you look just inside the top of the soundhole, here is a block of wood (the end part of the fingerboard wood i assume) and there are at least 3 splinters sticking out of it

cant believe i didnt notice it at the store, anyways i will be returning it tomorrow!

I was also wondering if any other DR-100 owners have experienced it?

welcome to the forum, fellow canuck! did you by it at long and mcquade? all the low-end (cheap) epis are made in pac-rim factories like this ....

...and they make hundreds of them a day. if your splinters are actually cracks that threaten the stability of the guitar, then yes, bring it back. but, if they look like wood does after its been roughly sawed or planed, then you probably dont have a bad guitar. some of this stuff comes with the territory when you buy a 125 dollar guitar. i just bought a $250 epi L-00 and it has splinters inside, too. am i worried? no. because the guitar is structurally sound otherwise. have another look - if you have cracks - take it back. dont sweat the splinters. still, it never hurts to ask the guy at the shop because they want you to be happy because you are in grade 9 and you will spend thousands of dollars in your lifetime on gear if you keep playing. i was 12 when i started playing and my mom dropped me off at l&m every saturday afternoon while she shopped. i am 42 now and have always shopped there. they take care of me.

Yeah. As long as the block isn't cracked it's nothing to worry about. Just roughly sawn and not properly inspected and cleaned up before assembly. If it makes you feel any better, sometimes people find saw dust, wood chips and or splinters inside $2500 USA Gibsons. The AJ200SR I ordered a few weeks ago arrived with a square of Korean sandpaper inside of it, but the sticker on the headstock says "Made In Indonesia".

sorry, sorry thats what i meant...

they switched the price tag at the store so the floor model said "Epiphone DR-100 $199.99"

then after i returned it i went to another store, guaranteed to have the "Best prices in Toronto" and showed them the bill to get it for the same price and sure enough (as the salesman pointed out) the bill read Epiphone AJ-100 :(

oh well for $10 i get a free tune up if my neck starts to bend :)

welcome to the forum' date=' fellow canuck! did you by it at long and mcquade? all the low-end (cheap) epis are made in pac-rim factories like this ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNQcJQGfHY..[/quote']

Kind of like watchin' John Wayne Gacey at work. They're makin' TONS of Gibson knock-offs and have the chutzpa to display it on the electric WWW!

Here's the real deal:

Archived