Gibson Brands Forums

Repair Costs?

pohatu771

As some of you know, I have a 1966 (?) LG-0, that needs a few repairs.

I don't have a lot of time to go to a shop to get an estimate, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure, based on previous repairs.

As far as I can tell, it needs the following repairs:

Two braces - one on the back, one on the top below the bridge

The remains of the original braces will have to be removed, and the new ones will have to be put in place.

Bridge replacement - I've already removed the original, plastic, screwed-on bridge.

From what I've read online, the finish from under the bridge should be stripped and a replacement should be glued in place. The bridge plate may or may not need replacing or re-enforcing.

After the braces are replaced, the two cracks on the top and back (they aren't all the way through, just where the wood has bent) will probably have to be touched-up, but not seriously.

[EDIT] I don't know how much this matters, but I'm not in a big city, so I don't have to deal with LA or New York prices. I'm sure it's not a lot cheaper, but it's got to be something.

Photos located in this album:

Gibson LG-0

just a guess, but I would think if you sent your guitar in to the Gibson repair shop in Nashville, all of those repairs would cost about $1000. Also, they might tell you that you might need more work done (a neck reset would run the total up to around $2000). If you brought it into a "local" repair guy he might charge you ~$750 for the repairs you mentioned.

Archived