Gibson Brands Forums

Why AJ Model Over DR???

bluezguy

Just wondering what makes most of yaz pick the AJ model Masterbuilt over the DR? I've never played either one and went ahead and ordered a DR500-R anyway. I picked that one because advertising says it is the 'more vintage' sound than the others. What am I missing?

Thanks.

you are going to love the dr - it is nice. there's one at the shop near here and i play it everytime i go in because it is passed over. its not what the kids are buying but they sound great. if you are a finger picker or just love a loud guitar, the aj is for you. traditionally, the aj's advanced or forward shifted x-bracing causes the sound to punch out of the soundhole with greater concentration and volume than other styles. i have read countless reviews and heard many owners here rave about them. i'm with them. try one. they are not for everyone but i knew right away.

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't realize the AJ was a loud guitar. When I ordered my Dr from MF a few days ago, I also ordered the LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup. It was a toss up between the I-Beam or M1.

The Dr gets delivered to me on Tuesday so you can rest assurred I'll be posting my thoughts on both the pup and guitar.

i know you didnt ask but...the I-beam, imho, is the best pickup going. the element is a close 2nd. players who use the M1 prefer that single coil j-160 sound. check out youtube and jeff tweedy playing his breedlove. he uses the M1 for that rig. your dr's natural sound is going to be reproduced more authentically with the i-beam or the element. just my (unsolicited) 2 cents. good luck with the new guitar.

Just wondering what makes most of yaz pick the AJ model Masterbuilt over the DR?

Thanks.

When they came out the AJs may have been lower priced than the DRs, not sure really, but they are the same price now at MF.

It seems like I remember the lower priced AJ was calling to me, but went for the more pricey DR in the end. It's been 2 years so I'm a little fuzzy on it really.

I need to get to a store and check them out today. I think they have changed a bit. I hear they no longer have a bone nut and saddle, no case and no binding on the headstock. Maybe it depends on the model.

Glad I got mine early.

I got my aj500m about a year ago. I didn't compare it to anything!! I played it, & bought it.

I have since played a lot of masterbilt's , & have liked everyone of them.

I wish my wife would stop buying the wrong lottery tickets!!

I need to get to a store and check them out today. I think they have changed a bit. I hear they no longer have a bone nut and saddle' date=' no case and no binding on the headstock. Maybe it depends on the model.

Glad I got mine early.

[/quote']

I can attest to the fact that a case is no longer included. I did assume, however, that the nut and saddle were bone. Is there an easy way to tell? The nut and saddle on the AJ500M I just got are very white, almost blue-white. The saddle is compensated. Does this sound like the saddles on the older Masterbilts?

If all this is true it's pretty shitty. Epi comes out with this great line up, gets wonderful reviews from magazines and consumers, then quietly downgrades the product.

Then again, we are talking about Gibson here.

I can attest to the fact that a case is no longer included. I did assume' date=' however, that the nut and saddle were bone. Is there an easy way to tell? [/quote']

Grab a sewing needle or pin with a pair of pliers or hemostats and heat the pin until it is red. Then quickly poke the nut or saddle with the hot needle. If it is bone, it won't be affected. If it is plastic, the hot pin will melt a hole into the nut or saddle.

Dugly

Archived