Gibson Brands Forums

Ten years ago today.....

stan 58

It's been ten years since I got my "Iguana burst" Les Paul and I just want to say how happy i've been with it. I t looks as good as it did the day i got it and it sounds even better. I replaced the PUs and thats it. The switchs and pots have held up great and the poly finish is rock hard. I really think that the upper end Epis will last A life time if you just take care of them a little. A real value if you ask me. Stan.

I like reading positive stories. So many people complain about poly, but it's tuff (spell check, LOL) stuff. You'd be surprised at how many people think they're going to make a significant change in tone on solid bodies by stripping the poly and refinishing with canned nitro.

So many people complain about poly' date=' but it's tuff (spell check, LOL) stuff

[/quote']

I think most of that is based on the 70/80's poly(ester) finishes. They were applied so thick as much as 1mm and instances have been known were the finish shattered like glass upon impact. Manufacturers have since wisened up and the polyurethane finish they use now is( and can be) applied very thin.

Archived