Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions please...

tele63

Depends on what music he's into.

Folk of Country would indicate flat top, I'd say a PR5-E, EJ-160E or EJ-200CE

Jazz, indcates arch top, the Dot, Riviera, or ES333

A couple of those are bumpin' up against your limit, price wise.

Go to Musiciansfriend.com or Music123. Plug in Epiphone acoustic electric, then short by price.

Be aware that, of late, there's been reports of guitars being sold without a case included. Those prices may not include a case. That's how they get a price increase without increasing the price... less features. Factor that in as you will want to get a case as well. Splurge on the hard shell variety. Read the description thoroughly to know exactly what is included in the price.

You don't HAVE to purchase from an internet store, but that will give you an idea what's out there... if you can find what you are looking for in a brick and mortar store. Brick and Mortar store prices will be comparable, to maybe a touch higher, not to mention be able to set it up for you.

Oh, yeah... you want to adopt me?

A Carvin Colbalt C750T.

Carvin sells direct with no middleman. I have a C750T and it's a great guitar. It's MSRP is $1,319 and Carvin normally sells them direct for $649 but have been offering them on sale for $499.

The Carvin line is the best value in an acoustic-electric out there.

One of the (if not the) biggest names in acoustics is C.F. Martin... unfortunately, their least-expensive guitars don't have any electronics.

The lowest-priced guitars (Little Martin, lower-end X series) is made in Mexico, but some of the older ones (even just a few years ago) are made in Nazareth, PA.

I have a DX1RGT (mid-range X series), and it's made in Nazareth. Retail is $700, no electronics.

ok, i like everyone's recommendations, but imho. if this is not a surpise gift, take him to the local guitar shop and see what interest him. a guitar is an extension of self. just like clothes and what car u like. If it is not a surprise gift, let him pick. If it is a surprise gift. versitility is your best option. get him an acoustic-electric.

Archived