Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass Emperor or Broadway made in USA?

eyesonly

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260304136228&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

This is something I have bought however having done so I am unable to find any information about this guitar ever being made in the USA. Does anyone know anything about them or any of USA made Epiphones? Fortunately it can be returned in 30 days if it's not real.

Nope, that one is a fake. The "U" serial number would indicate the Korean Unsung factory. The design is not consistent with either a Joe Pass or Broadway. Pickguard is wrong, inlays are wrong, bridge should be floating on a wooden saddle, body and headstock shape are wrong, wrong, wrong. It also looks as though the sides are made of a darker wood, or else finished with a dark stain, which wouldn't be the case on a natural finish Joe Pass.

Epiphone hasn't made electrics in the USA since the late 60's, except for a very few special items. Back then they had models called the Broadway and Emperor, but they were different designs than the models currently bearing those names.

The Joe Pass Emperor II was never made in the USA, always in Korea, Indonesia or China. They are excellent guitars though --- especially the ones made in the Korean Samick and Peerless factories (serial numbers beginning with S or R, or 90's models with no letters in the serial number made by Samick).

Nope' date=' that one is a fake. The "U" serial number would indicate the Korean Unsung factory. The design is not consistent with either a Joe Pass or Broadway. Pickguard is wrong, inlays are wrong, bridge should be floating on a wooden saddle, body and headstock shape are wrong, wrong, wrong. It also looks as though the sides are made of a darker wood, or else finished with a dark stain, which wouldn't be the case on a natural finish Joe Pass.

[/quote']

..and it's a very poor fake at that. The "vine" design is not the same as my '95 Samick Joe Pass, and the "Epiphone"

name is much too high on the headstock almost touching the left corner. A proper

headstock had the name centered and down more towards the top two tuners.

Also the block inlays..the wedge block inlays of "abalone"/MOT is not correct.

Epiphone hasn't made electrics in the USA since the late 60's, except for a very few special items. Back then they had models called the Broadway and Emperor, but they were different designs than the models currently bearing those names.

The Kalamazoo produced Emperor was a lot larger too as it was based on the NYC made

Epiphone Emperor , it had 3 p_ups and a frequensator and was available in natural.

The Emperor II (Joe Pass version of it as well) did not exist back in the late 60s.

The Broadway, Triumph and Deluxe were made at Kalamazoo in '65 but they had a

headstock that was closer to Gibson's..without the clpped corners.

The Joe Pass Emperor II was never made in the USA, always in Korea, Indonesia or China. They are excellent guitars though --- especially the ones made in the Korean Samick and Peerless factories (serial numbers beginning with S or R, or 90's models with no letters in the serial number made by Samick).

My Joe Pass '95 is by Samick with a serial number that starts with "S". My other Emp II is a '91 only has a sticker with numbers and it was made by Samick as well.

That "made in USA" on that J"oe Pass" is a giveaway that it's a fake...also, small

point here, considering there are so many things wrong with it..the "Joe Pass"

stylized signature on the TRC is not authentic either.

Archived