Gibson Brands Forums

Epi=Gibby

my_dot04

Just a thought here:

As far as a new Epi, the only Texan available is the McCartney model, right (correct me if I'm wrong)? And that is mucho denario as far as Epis go, also right? Could you get almost as good an approximation with the AJ500M--that is, the mahogany-bodied AJ model Masterbilt--for over $1000. less?

But then, what do I know?

Yep, as far as Epi's currently in production go, the AJ-500M would be the closest thing to a J-50; but the scale length on the AJ-500M is slightly shorter and the nut width is slightly narrower (1 5/8" vs 1 3/4" on the J-50). If you can find one, Epi used to make an Elitist J-45 that had closer specs. They appear on eBay from time to time, and it seems like they usually go in the $800-$900 range.

You in deed are a shrewed consumer. The McCartney "Texan" is pricey because of the name and 'historic' componentry, which means low production and expensive componentry.

The FT-79 Texan was basically a Jumbo or Advanced Jumbo. I'm not sure which. Solid top, mahogany back and sides. Your thurst can be slaked by:

DR200S Soid topped Dreadnaught (Dreadnaught = Jumbo)

AJ200S Solid topped Advanced Jumbo

Hummingbird Solid topped Jumbo with perfectly balanced tone.

These can be had for around $2000.00 less than a Paul Mc. Texan. As per Musiciansfriend's current offerings.

There are Master builts of the above are available for more money, under the DR and AJ prefixes. These can save you around $1500.00

Don't forget to order the case. Check the descriptions but, of late, few guitars are sold on line 'with' the case.

I believe there's an Elitist "1965 Texan" reissue that's not a McCartney signature.

You are probably right. The current or recent production 1965 Texan probably was / is available as a signature and a non-signature model. And, honestly, I don't know if the model number FT79 was applied to the recent version.

The Elitist Texan (and other Elitist acoustics: J45, J200, L00) were discontinued several years ago, so they can ony be found used, or in RARE cases, NOS.

The McCartney Texans (Made In Japan/Made in USA) reached the end of their limited number run (< 2000), and are officially discontinued. Some of the MIJ models are still available online, but they are becoming scarce, as witnessed by MF/M123 recently raising the price of the MIJs they have left to $2199, and Sweetwater raising the price of the one or two MIJs they have to $2899. I think the made in USA models (250 + 40 aged) were all snapped up. I see a few overruns of either the MIJ or made in USA models (sold without the COA or soundhole labels) from time to time.

Red 333

So ya want a slope shouldered jumbo with a thick as all get out pickguard, adjustable saddle and plastic bridge?

Not Gibson's finest moment.

For what it's worth, these days Gibson does not even make guitars that are a match for most McCarty-period Gibsons. Ya want old school Gibson tone you need to find an old Gibson.

But Yeah, the FT-79 was Epi's take on the venerable Gibson J-45 (a J-50 is nuttin' but a J-45 with a natural skin).

I was looking at the Hummingbird.

Just haven't had the chance to play with one.

Maybe next time I'm in Lubbock Imma check one out at Guitar Center.

Best not take your wallet unless you really intend to buy. It WILL follow you home if you have the means to get it past the cash register.

Congrats.

So ya want a slope shouldered jumbo with a thick as all get out pickguard' date=' adjustable saddle and plastic bridge?

Not Gibson's finest moment.

For what it's worth, these days Gibson does not even make guitars that are a match for most McCarty-period Gibsons. Ya want old school Gibson tone you need to find an old Gibson.

But Yeah, the FT-79 was Epi's take on the venerable Gibson J-45 (a J-50 is nuttin' but a J-45 with a natural skin). [/quote']

Last night I plucked on my FT145SB Texan from the bad old Norlin years for the first time in a month. Jeeze Looweeze! 8-[ I love that vintage tone. And it's only worth a tenth of what a similar condition FT79 would sell for. Me and 'Epi' will be together for ever.

Archived