Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need ?

gothsloth

Hi all, when I want to record myself on my laptop computer I can't get the sound from my guitar. I run a lead to my amp, then a lead from my amp (headphone jack) to my computer. I have tried direct from guitar to computer also. It will record ok but I just can't hear my own playing and it makes it difficult when all I hear is the backing music from my computer but not what I am playing.

Is there a device I can use where I can run a lead from guitar to "unknown device" then from there run one lead to amp and another lead from "unknown device" to computer ?

The software I am using is Band-in-a-box 2008.5.

Well you'll need a mic to place in front of your amp speaker. That's the way to catch true amp sound. And mic should be routed through preamp. If you want to try to record at home, look at the m-audio products, like mobile pre. It's usb preamp with two channel recording. For mic, have a look at sm57 by shure, that's the market leader 8-[

Here's a website to give you an idea of what you need.

Some of your options:

- get a desktop box that connects to your pc with usb. I think Lin6 has 'em, but there's other brands too. Check out some music stores.

- Buy a soundcard with MIDI support and ASIO drivers. This option gives you the best sound quality over your pc.

Audiophile soundcards, for example. You'd still need something to convert to MIDI, though.

I'd say, Google around, there's plenty of information out there to help you get connected.

Good luck!

Well you'll need a mic to place in front of your amp speaker. That's the way to catch true amp sound. And mic should be routed through preamp. If you want to try to record at home' date=' look at the m-audio products, like mobile pre. It's usb preamp with two channel recording. For mic, have a look at sm57 by shure, that's the market leader 8-[[/quote']

being an audio engineer, i agree on all points made by twiggy. mic trumps amp di just about 99.9% of the time, and a halfway decent pre will make a world of difference. you'll have to experiment with the mic placement a bit to find where you like it for your personal taste, but well worth the effort.

m-audio and digidesign both make pretty stellar usb driven interfaces for home recording. i use an m-box myself both for home rec's and certain free lance gigs. prices vary a bit, and there's always the matter of learning the software (be it pro-tools, logic, cakewalk, etc.), but both companies make solid products (all with mic pre's that at the very least don't suck). not sure about m-audio as i've never used m-audio gear, but digidesign stuff (m-box, m-box mini, etc) are all pro-tools based. it's a pain in the *** to learn frankly, but getting basic tracks and recording is pretty quick.

and yea, sm-57's are the work horses of the industry. and not too expensive at about $70 a pop. plus, you can throw them up against a wall everyday and they'll never break.

hope you get what you're looking for and have fun!

Hi all' date=' when I want to record myself on my laptop computer I can't get the sound from my guitar. I run a lead to my amp, then a lead from my amp (headphone jack) to my computer. I have tried direct from guitar to computer also. It will record ok but I just can't hear my own playing and it makes it difficult when all I hear is the backing music from my computer but not what I am playing.

Is there a device I can use where I can run a lead from guitar to "unknown device" then from there run one lead to amp and another lead from "unknown device" to computer ?

The software I am using is Band-in-a-box 2008.5.[/quote']

Might want to check this one out:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-JamLab-Personal-Guitar-System?sku=241104

It also works with Garage band (no additional software/drivers required)

Plays back through headphones or whatever speakers are attached.

edit: 'spensive right now. MF occasionally puts it on stupid deal of the day for 29.

AJ

Archived