Gibson Brands Forums

Something I just don't understand

joeymetro

They seem to pretty much use the old chestnut Gibson model designations (many of which were actually the price of the guitar - the J-200 being $200 the J-45 being $45 and so on).

Generally speaking - an O or OO designates a small body guitar - originally pretty cheap and not built to handle heavy guage strings.

The J - stands for jumbo and with the obvious exception of the J-200 refers to a slope shouldered 16" body. Essentially a version of the dreadnaught.

Slapping an E in the model number I guess just means onboard electronics.

Hope this helps a bit.

Smallest to largest:

EL is the smaller of the bunch, you might say a 'parlor' sized. It is light and bluesy sounding... not much ring. To understand bluesy, there's an old saw. "If you've never owned a pawn shop guit tar you cannot play the blues." This means it sounds like a cheap guit tar. Not a lot of sustain/ring. But if this is what you want to play The EL00 will give you that tone, in a better quality package than say an old Harmony guit tar.

AJ is a slope shouldered 'Advanced Jumbo'. Larger body volume for more musical volume. (louder) Back in the day CFMartin and company came out with a large bodied guitar they called it a Dreadnaught. Gibson countered with a model size called a Jumbo. This is Gibson's original Jumbo shape, sloped shouldered.

DR is a bit larger. Meaning Dreadnaught i.e. square shoulder. This is Martin's original large bodyied guitar shape. You'll need to stand two side by side to see what I mean. The shoulder is the part where the neck enters the body. The slope shouldered ones begin to round immediately. The square ones go straight out, perpendicular to the neck, for a ways before it begins to curve downward. Hummingbird and Dove are square shouldered dreads.

EJ is Epiphone's version of SJ or Super Jumbo It has a round lower bout as opposed to having a squared butt like the obove models.

A letter "E" at the END of the model denotes on board electronics As in AJ200E

A letter "C" at the End means Cut-away.

A letters "S" near the end means Solid spruce top.

So a AJ200SCE is a slope shouldered jumbo with solid spruce top, cut away and electronics.

Generally speaking 100 means basic model with little bling, 200 means more bling and maybe a solid top and 300 means lots of bling. 212 means 200 level bling with 12 strings.

There are other models using different nomenclature conventions, but this is the basics.

They seem to pretty much use the old chestnut Gibson model designations (many of which were actually the price of the guitar - the J-200 being $200 the J-45 being $45 and so on).

So my AJ18-SNA was' date=' like, $18 ???? default_eusa_wall.gif J/K, 'tis a fine guitar (would be really fine if it cost so little)

Thank you for clearing that up.

Is there a difference in thickness of body and neck?

Bodies will undoubted vary in size. I don't know how deep each body is.

A PR5-E has a really shallow body. This one is normaly played plugged in.

Neck size and legth seem to change with the winds. You'll just have to play one to see if

it's sized right for your liking.

Archived