Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups fitted with pics and bitmo mod

mrjones200x

Hey guys went and got myself some irongear hotslag pickups which my mate had. Got them in Zebra look as think this is nicest with the honeyburst finish. Have tested on low volume so far as little boy asleep so will crank the valve junior tommorow.

Also thought id post a pic of my modded V3 amp too. Dont look nothing special but hey i had the camera out!

Hope you like

DSC01351.jpg

Before picture

DSC01420.jpg

After

DSC01422.jpg

After

DSC01421.jpg

After

Yeah they sound nice!

Lots of clarity between the notes. No muddyness at all. Work well with the bitmo mod and get a higher distortion.

Never really used the volume pot or tone pot on the guitar before this as witht he stock pickups there wasnt enough difference to warrent fiddling about but with these pickups i can get a better variaty of tone with just the guitar controls.

With the guitar on about 7 gives same sort of output as std pup and when turned to ten gives more distortion as its a higher output pickup.

The neck pickup is very good for rhythm now. I played some heavier rock on the neck pickup and it sounded lovely much more balanced. Found the std pup was always muddy and dull.

Dont get me wrong i liked the standard pups but theses seem more versatile and they open up the sound more.

Not sure but think i may of lost a slight loss of colour in the neck pickup as the output is a lot more than the std pup. But if i roll back the volume to about 5 i can get it to sound similar as before.

Overall i prefer the look now and still have the covers if iget board. (Would i need to wax fill them to fit on these pickups if i wanted to have covers on??)

More versatile with added options of coil splitting if you want it.

Cheap at over half price less then semour duncans. (not tried semour duncans before)

That my little review and here is a link to the irongear website. They got a few soundclips of diff pickups to help too. They do p90s also at a very cheap price!!

By the way i dont work for them just think there good priced for what you get.

Thanks

http://www.irongear.co.uk/index.htm (Home page)

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_005.htm (Hotslag pickups)

Archived