Gibson Brands Forums

kluson style tuners wanted?

mrjones200x

Hi there want to change my tuners for kluson type ones with tombstone head shape. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway there seems to be a lot of gotch ones available and the prices vary loads from £20-£50.

Just need some advice on what to get and where from if you can.

There for my Les Paul std 07 model. Is that 8mm holes or 10??

Am gonna get the white pearly looking ones which are nearly yellow as my binding is creamy yellow.

Thanks

Grover makes Kluson style tuners, as does Schaller, and Gotoh, as you mentioned. Not sure what

you mean by "Tombstone" head shape...smaller oval (sometimes called "butter bean")? Or, the old

elongated ovals, that the old open backed tuner's had? OH...and Kluson still makes them, as well! LOL!

www.stewmac.com is a good start, here in the US. In the UK...I'm not familiar, really. Sorry...

CB

Like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gotoh-Adjust-Height-Guitar-Tuners-Machineheads-NICKEL_W0QQitemZ130190340108QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130190340108&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1432%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Would like a set that went straight in without having to buy additional parts/bushes ect.

Would like chrome too to match my other hardwear. If not poss the nickel will do

Thanks

I have been told that Grovers are now actually made by Gotoh, but I can't confirm this as a fact.

It is not clear what size headstock hole the first set of Gotoh tuners you are looking at takes. The second set of Grovers requires a 25/64 inch or 10mm wide hole.

This type of tuner button is more commonly called a "keystone" or "tulip" shape.

In general, tuners either require a "vintage" size hole which is 11/32 inch diameter, or a "modern" 10mm diameter hole (25/64). The vintage size hole uses a press fit bushing which goes into the hole from the front of the headstock. The bushing surrounds the tuning machine peg which goes into the headstock from the back side, but is not directly connected to it in any way.

The modern tuning machines that go into a 10mm hole have a threaded bushing that actually screws into the body of the tuning machine that inserts from the back. This type of tuner has a nut shape on the bushing that allows you to tighten the threaded bushing into the tuning machine with a wrench. The vintage press fit bushings don't have that nut shape.

Look at your guitar. If the bushings on the face of the headstock look like a nut, you probably have a 10mm hole size. If not, you probably have the 11/32 inch size.

You can put 10mm tuning machines on a guitar set up for vintage tuners, but you would have to ream out the holes to a slightly larger size. To fit vintage tuners to a headstock with 10 mm holes would require you to plug the holes and drill them out to 11/32.

Yeah, some come with locking (screw in) bushings (larger holes), and some with push in.

The vintage are the push in type, generally...but there are push in bushings that are larger

(thicker) that will fill the larger holes, in the headstock, that the screw in bushings

need. IF, you want that particular look? I believe Stew Mac has dimensions posted,

that you can check your's agaist, if I'm not "Dreaming?"

CB

Yes, I seem to remember that Guitar Fetish sells adapter bushings that allow you to use "vintage" tuning machines with "modern" size headstock holes. I think they are available for sale separately (without having to buy a set of tuners) if you don't want to fill and drill the headstock holes.

Unless you have a modified guitar that you are attempting to return to a "vintage" look, its probably easier to just get the right size for your guitar, however.

Archived