Gibson Brands Forums

concerning bigsbys

TWANG

do you think a person could get better sounds out of a bigsby if the

roller that hold the strings were guaged?

that is, if each string had a different sized barrel on it. so that each time you swooped down it would turn

at a radius that would much more closely match the strings size.. meaning a chord would sound more in tune

when whammy'd?

So the barrel would have a different circumfrence for each string instead of all the same size.

tWANG

Guest alanhindle

Interesting thought.

Would the strings remain in tune with each other with any make of trem when it is depressed?

I'm not a physicist but I would guess that if the bigsby was the one to do it, the diameter of the barrel would have to keep changing according to how much pressure is placed on the trem in order to maintain even tension across all strings- therefore not possible.

Would a Roland synth attachment be the only way to do this?

Alan

did I ever tell you how much I hate smart people?

well.. I don't!

so that explains it.

You're right.. it might work here or there.. but not widely.. still.. think it'd be better?

Some chords aren't that bad.. but low strings.. they seem to be worse to me than higher strings..

TWANG

And, even though the string size/guage is different, the base of each, that goes over the standard barrel would

be at the same level (aside from the differences between wound, and plain strings), anyway...right? So, I don't think changing the barrel size (creating differing string heights, etc.) would help...but, I'm just speculating (AKA Guessing) here.

Since the wound strings (most likely) have more "drag," then maybe a more lubricated, or slicker material barrel

would be a possibility? Again, I'm just guessing...

CB

I was just thinking of travel difference..

hmmm.

ok.. now we get harder..

a bearing for each strings..

set screws for each..

starting to get complicated..like a palm bender..

but that would only work if you pushed the bar all the way to the set screw stop.

like a palm bender..

dang. I'm smart on another planet, I guess!

My guitar strap does have an official space cadet button!

TWANG

I was just thinking it would be a bit better .. esp in some places... I still think it would.. maybe next time I change strings I'll

wrap something around that bar on a couple of strings and see what happens..

TWANG

Hello Twang,

You know, Ned Steinberger figured the whole, "trem while keeping the chord in complete tune" thing long ago. In fact, you can even change key to any of five mid song, without losing tuning. It may not be pretty, but there may be something in the way his works that you could apply.

Doth

Archived