Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Ultra and pedals

joeymetro

Can some explain the difference between distortion and overdrive, isn't it the same?

But I noticed pedal manufacturers will make a distortion pedal and a separate overdrive pedal?

I play my Epiphone Ultra into a Fender blues junior I added an overdrive pedal.

I wanted to hear distortion at a very low volume.

Everyone in the family complaining about the volume.

I wouldn't call'm the same alltho they're definately related. Think of them as gain-stages. So you go from clean<cleanboost<crunch<overdrive<distortion.

Agreed...the rub comes in, where different companies, have different ideas/descriptions, as to what is

overdrive, distortion, and "Fuzz." Overdrive used to be used (probbbly still is, for the most part) to

describe the tone you get, when overdriving a "tube" amp, to it's "Sweet spot," where it naturally

breaks up, in a kind of creamy sustained, and pleasingly slightly distorted tone. Anything beyond

that, could be called "distortion," and/or "Fuzz." But, even then, there's straight crunch distortion,

"harmonic" distortion, and old '60's style "Fuzz," too. It really can be quite confusing, on terms...

but, once you know what you like/want...it's pretty easy to find a pedal that will work. There are

SO many, now...that's the hardest part...going through all of them, to find your preferred one. LOL!

CB

Distortion clips the signal, overdrive BOOSTS the signal.

Overdrives are best used in front of the amp (or preamp) and distortion pedals actually work quite nicely POST-amp in the effects loop where you can maintain the dialed in level of sustain and smoothness even when backing off on your guitar volume.

Archived