Gibson Brands Forums

neck adjustment on an LP

Marcelo1281734115

Hello, I had my Epi LP Standard go through a truss rod adjustment about three weeks ago. Last weekend, I changed the strings to a new set or Ernie Balls 9-to-42 and the neck sagged back to its original forward movement of the headstock. I went last night and the tech set it back to a straight position once again and the neck was sagged again when I looked at it this morning.

Any suggestions on how I can make the adjustment last longer. I probably have to do it myself. I never looked under a truss rod cover, but I was thinking that the nut might need a thread-locker so that it does not get loose again. I was thinking of using a mild Loctite or Krazy Glue and securing the wrench in place until the glue sets. Will this work?

yeah no locktite.. suppose the problem isn't that end! then you're stuck pretty good and may break something else trying to break it free.

I'd readjust yet again..it could be just a hassle settling in.. don't give up yet.

TWANG

I just bought the guitar last month, it was built in 1997. The previous owner did some work to it, like re-wiring it (because he said the guitar was exposed to a humid climate) and he also changed the tuners. Otherwise, the guitar sat in its case unplayed since 2000 or so.

I guess that the truss rod is replaceable, right? I will keep bugging the tech at the guitar shop until he fixes it without charging me additional cash. I am beginning to think that this guitar is crap and I am entertaining thoughts of flogging it off on Ebay.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I took it to the tech once again for a third truss rod adjustment. The adjustment seems to be holding up now, I guess that it don't necessarily work the first time and you just have to keep trying...

Anyhow, the neck was over-adjusted backwards and it did eventually sag about halfway on its own, but it did not sag 100%, so the truss is finally holding (yipee!). I was then able to lower the action so that there is a mere 2/32 clearance from the bottom of the low-e to the fret at the 12th fret, which is supposed to be so low its almost obscene!. I used to have buzz when fretting beyond the 12th fret, but this is all gone now, even with a much lower action (yipee!). The neck is performing just about perfectly. I hope it does not sag from here.

I guess that if I raise the action to "normal" levels, there will be even less risk of possible buzzing and other possible issues. But, I think that I will keep the current low-action. Everyone tells me that as a beginner, I should be learning with high-action, but I find that the very low-action I now have makes the guitar much more easier for me to play.

Great!

and don't sweat the low action.. when I get lazy and don't play a while.. I like slinkier strings and lower action until I get my

self back up to speed.

What I'm glad didn't happen is the rod adjusment begins to affect it wrongly.. which I've had happen.. I never pulled one of those apart, but I had a feeling the rod twisted and the pressure moved from the sweet spot to the not so sweet, causing the neck to adjust weirdly.

Happy Pickin!

TWANG

Archived