Gibson Brands Forums

can't date my epiphone sg g310 ebony

adi

hi all

im the owner of a epi sg g310 black. i bought this guitar in october-november 1998 in tirana albania, but it was imported from greece. i cant find the origin where is made from and what value have reached now.

the serial nr is JI98080304

now i know that is made in 08- 1998 but where ( japan korea indonesia china)?

now if anyone can help i'd appreciate that :-&

if I find the way to upload some photos that might help...

thanks

I already knew that. I tested the guitar data project website but enable to get info concerning the factory where my guitar was made i came across this forum and thought to give it a try. :-

but what does that mean "factory not yet added to the database"? probably that is not made in major locations like korea china japan and "hell no" usa.

ok I think is eather from Indonesia or Japan. Indonesia cause the database is not added yet and japan cause my guitars serial nr starts with a "J".

all opinions are welcomed

thanks anyway :)

ps: how do you upload photos in this forum website?

Adi,

Welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge, the Epiphone G-310 has always been made at Samick's Indonesian factory (at least since 1992 when that factory opened.)

Regarding value...well, it's not worth very much in terms of cash. But they are quite nice guitars, so its value is to you, the player, as an instrument you can use. In the United Kingdom you can buy a new one of these for around £140 (about 200 Euros).

To post photos here, set up a photobucket account - http://photobucket.com/ - then use the image tool on the toolbar for this forum (looks like 2 mountains and the sun) to copy the link to your photo here.

adi,

"factory not yet added to the database" means just what it says. They have not gotten around to including that factory in the database. That's it. Don't read anything into that. There are a lot of models from different factories that have not yet been entered into the database.

I have a 1997 Epi SG Jr. that also begins with a J. Nobody I have talked to has had any idea where it is from.

I'm thinking Japan also.

DSC00086.jpgDSC00084-2.jpg To post a pic you have to first upload the pic(s) on to a site, like photobucket. Copy the image code below the pic after editing it. Then, on the epiphone site, where you post, click on the icon above that looks like a mountain with the sun behind it. Paste the image code you copied from photobucket between the two image brackets like this-----> . And that's it.

Hey I love my Jr. And although I would like to know where it was made, I am very happy just to have found it and bought it, and of course play it.

No' date=' it's Indonesia.

The "J" indicates the Terada Company. The following "I" stands for Indonesia. Source: http://the-raven-in-me.blogspot.com/2008/05/epiphone-serial-numbers.html

This practice continues today - I have a G-400 with a UC number. U=Unsung, C=China.[/quote']

I am talking about MY guitar. Not his.

Mine only has a J in front. It does not have an "I".

And yes I have an EE G400, and am quite aware of how the serial numbers work.

But I still don't know what a "J" in the front means. And nobody else seems to either.

ok thanks guys

this guitar (hopefully i'll be able to upload some photos from picasa web albums) has been my first guitar and I have played for many years. I have learned a lot in terms of setup electronics and parts...it was my test guitar for any thing. now that im playing an prs se soapbar II (one of those made in corea) i have a problem... my hands feel familiar with sg more than prs:):) kinda relationship and attraction dynamics ::):)

anyway this epi will grow older with me, and never gonna sell it. it was just curiosity.

but hey it will be a pleasure to know where it comes from.

well if i find something I'll let you guys know about sg's that serials start with "JI"

thanks

[http://picasaweb.google.it/lh/photo/t5k]

I dont understand why "JI" are mixed together and used to mark the origin of my sg.... where "J" stands for Terada which is the factory in Japan and "I" letter, stands for Indonesia factory or country.

the only explanation I assume is that in Indonesia they make SG's for Terada factory/company in Japan or something like this but it seems no sens to me.

hope this link will work: http://picasaweb.google.it/hormosapiens/MyBelovedEpi#

:)

• 11 years later...

Hi! 🙂

I've just seen this thread. I am the owner of another Epi G-310 Ebony, whose serial number begins with "JI". Actually, mine is JI98050092, so our Epis are almost sisters. Mine was made in May 98, and it is a left-handed one.

It is kind of a mistery to find out where those were made exactly.  "J" stands for Japan or Indonesia, and sometimes I've seen serial numbers with a J plus another letter in Epi's codes for serial numbers, but never "JI".

Mine has a stick in the back of the head which says: "Made in Korea". So this might be the original country of our Epis, but to me it is far from clear that they were really made in Korea, just because a stick says so. When I look  codes for Epis serial numbers, I notice that "J" plus another letter usually is referenced as "probably Indonesian". However, like I just said, "JI" are never referenced in Epi's codes for serial numbers. So maybe those are Korean ones, maybe they come from Indonesia. IMO, mistery not completely solved.

I post this in case it might  be helpful.

Mine was bought in a now closed guitar shop in Malaga (city in south Spain), around 1999-2000. It has been played a lot. I would never sell it, although I own a Gibson LP Std Faded. It has been so many years playing it at concerts and rehersals, at home... I just got very fond of this guitar. I find it very confortable for playing, particularly the fingerboard, slightly broad and flat.

Thinking about changing pickups, though.

Greetings,

Pablo

• Like 1