Gibson Brands Forums

Couple questions...

AlexStolte

Hi guys, ive been surfing the forum for awhile, but decided to become a member only after deciding to buy an epiphone for the christmas holiday. I just have a couple questions on deciding what epi is right for me. i consider myself an intermediate player, i have been playing for a good 4 years now. i know quality when i see it.

in personal preference i like a nice solid body guitar.

my price range is up to 650 ish, enough for a lp standard i believe.

i went to guitar center over the weekend and saw a beautiful epi g400, not sure if it was a deluxe or not, but it had gold hardware and a flametop honeyburst finish. i would love to get some info on this

i played it. it was a decent guitar

i also saw the epiphone les pauls, i played one or two standards with plus tops(flame mostly) and they were comfortable and stylish. however i found a few factory defects such as rusty bolts in the hardware, some discolorations etc. i moved on

this particular store did not have any korina explorers, a guitar that i had been planning on playing, and possibly buying.

just wanted to know your opinions on the guitars, and or any recomendations.

btw i play some alternative, erratic type music, i.e. the fall of troy. so i need a decent sized neck, but something with sustain. not a deathmachine ( i already have an ibanez lol).

thanks in advanced!

I'm not sure if this is going to be helpful for you but I just bought an Epi Les Paul Ultra 2.

I like the flexibility of this guitar. I like the weight, or lack of, and the way the back is formed for comfort.

Don't know if it has the kind of attack you're looking for.

It solely depends upon your style of playing rather than the looks of the guitar and i guess you know that cause you've been playing for 4 years now. The G400 might look good to you and might be comfortable to you so it might be better than a Les Paul (for you). it totally depends upon your playing and your chemistry with the guitar rather than any shape or size. you might find Paul fancy but may not like it's neck size or it's weight similarly you might not like the looks of a Fender but your fingers just might work better on that rather than a Les Paul.

If an Epiphone satisfies you more than the Gibson you'r not at all crazy cause you might like Epi's feel more than that of a Gib's.

8-[:-k:-k:-k

but ya if you really want a Les paul then get a standard (plain or Plus) both are amazing player

G400 are good as well but I prefer Pauls.

I've never had a solid body Epi, so in the absence of informed opinion, I'll just say that I agree with Ayush, it's mostly to do with how you feel when you play a particular model. Just keep trying the different models, one of them will sing out to you to take it home... I know that as soon as I pick up certain big body semi hollows, some of them just scream out at me to buy them! Others less so, so make sure you give them a try in the shop. That's the most important thing in my opinion. Like Ayush said, it's that all important chemistry!

thanks guys, ive played all three but the explorer (only interested in that because of the korina) and im goin back to the shop today so ill replay a couple others and see what fits me. ill definitely post some pictures once its in my hands.

also anyone have any ideas for a decent delay pedal to look at, i tried out an ibanez delay pedal a while ago, but other than that i really have little to no experience with pedals.

Archived