Gibson Brands Forums

Dot D string - nut to blame?

WireWhipper

Greetings, Epiphonians! Newbie here. I joined this forum after scoring a brend new cherry red Dot that was mistakenly clearance priced at my local "large guitar store"! The price tag on the guitar was intended for a lefty Dot they had in the back, but, they honored the clearance price anyway. I've never owned an Epi electric before (I have a Epi PR5-E acoustic/electric) and was impressed with the quality of this Dot given the price.

Anyway, I had the guitar set up a month ago and I've noticed that my D string is having tuning issues. I can turn the tuning machine about a quarter turn before detecting any difference in pitch (I verified this with my electronic tuner as well). After turning the tuning machine, though, I can give the D a good tug and it goes flat. I took it back to the shop where I had the setup done and they filed the slots again and added more graphite for me, but my tech suggested the tuning machine for the D was bad. Taking his advice I purchased a new set of Gibson tulip head Grovers and swapped them out, but - I still have the same problem.

I've noticed that one of the most popular Dot mods is a higher quality nut (graphite, bone, etc.) Is this where my problem lies? Also, I'm not hearing the usual 'ping' sound associated with strings getting hung up in the nut.

I get a similar issue, but I've learned to just live with it. Mine is the "A" string. Like you, no "ping" and it doesn't do it consistently. I see you've tried the graphite and recut the nut (ouch). As you noted, you could replace the nut with bone or another material. Nothing to lose and if that doesn't work, you know it's not the nut.

Besides that problem, you have to be loving that guitar. Nice that you got a deal and although we've seen red Dots before, we haven't seen yours.

WireWhipper,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Dot.

J.S. has a point. Could just be the nature of the beast......but....

Two sets of machine heads and still the same problem on the same string? And, no problem on other strings?

Just because a tech filed your nut doesn't mean he did the best job. (nothing personal)

Even if he did, original nuts on Epis are...well...O.K. Some people don't have a problem with them. Alot of people change them out.

Another potential problem is if it is binding at the bridge. They don't always ping when they release. Sometimes a small bur can bind them ever so slightly. If it turns out to be that, a small amount of very light filing can sometimes help. (small amount...very light)....Good luck. Let us now if you find out exactly what it is.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think the string is around the post correctly - but will check to make sure because that's happened to me before. While I'm bummed that I unloaded $60 on tuners I didn't actually need, I figure they're a nice upgrade from the stock tuners, so I'll probably just keep them.

Strum - I'm lovin' it. Its the cheapest axe in my guitarsenal but it keeps up with the best of 'em, and it's my first semi-hollow. Like many of us Dot owners, I love 335's but my desire to acquire has exceeded my budget, so a Dot was an excellent alternative. I just so happened to see it on the wall with the clearance tag one day at the store - I had no intention of buying a guitar when I walked in, but couldn't pass up the deal! - I've noted your request for a pic; I've loaned out my camera for the weekend but should have it back on Monday.

I never thought of it being the bridge - I'll check it out. Thanks, Willy!

Later!

Thanks for the suggestions' date=' guys. I think the string is around the post correctly - but will check to make sure because that's happened to me before. While I'm bummed that I unloaded $60 on tuners I didn't actually need, I figure they're a nice upgrade from the stock tuners, so I'll probably just keep them.

Strum - I'm lovin' it. Its the cheapest axe in my guitarsenal but it keeps up with the best of 'em, and it's my first semi-hollow. Like many of us Dot owners, I love 335's but my desire to acquire has exceeded my budget, so a Dot was an excellent alternative. I just so happened to see it on the wall with the clearance tag one day at the store - I had no intention of buying a guitar when I walked in, but couldn't pass up the deal! - I've noted your request for a pic; I've loaned out my camera for the weekend but should have it back on Monday.

I never thought of it being the bridge - I'll check it out. Thanks, Willy!

Later![/quote']

My Dot was my first semi HB and like you, mine is the cheapest and yet the most favored. I am always recommending the guitar to people, as do many of the members here.

Good luck with that problem and stick around for some entertaining and informative conversation.

Just another thought....Since it is a new guitar...How far into the nut are the strings buried?

When I got my L.P. the top of the string was a good 1/8" below the top of the nut. I too, was getting some binding.

Begore I changed strings again I sanded down the nut with the old strings still on it. I sanded right into the tops of the strings. Removed the old strings. Cleaned the top of the nut up with some finer sandpaper. I then used the old strings as a file to clean up the nut slots. Added graphite, put on the new strings. At that point the new strings sat above the nut by half the width of the string. Seemed to solve my problem.

I also like a small amount of "roll off" tword the headstock side of the slot. I don't know if they are supposed to be that way but it is the way I learned to do it.

You can also use ...cutting torch tip cleaners...as nut files. They are inexpenive and can be bought at many hardware stores for a few bucks....... Another great idea given to us by one of the other forum members.

Archived