Gibson Brands Forums

Buzzing from amp...

beafmachine

Hey I just recently purchased an Epiphone Black Beauty 3 about 3 days ago. I absolutely love it, but today I went to plug it in and an abnormal buzzing started coming from my amplifier (Line 6 Spider 3). At first it was quite loud so I tried my old Ibanez on the same amp, and the only buzzing I heard was very faint and only while I was playing something (it seemed normal really). I tried playing the Epiphone on my old Fender 15w PoS amp and the same thing happened. I finally went back to the Line 6 once more and the buzzing seemed a bit more faint but it is still quite noticeable. It's most (almost only) apparent on the rhythm and treble settings. I was wondering if this is something common or if anyone knows how to fix or deal with the problem other than having to try messing with warranty stuff. I hope it's nothing serious because I love this guitar =D> !. Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way this is a re-post from the Gibson forums, I didn't know there was a separate Epiphone one, but I would also like to say that the buzzing does not stop when I touch the strings, it will get louder with more volume, and is still noticeable while playing.

How's the amp with nothing plugged in? If you are getting similar symptoms with two separate amps could be your guitar or a ground issue.

Being new and under warranty I'd take it back and check it there with your guitar....what I would do anyhow.

Might be a loose wire (ground) or even one of the leads? Do you lose volume, too?

Open the back panel, and see if all the wires are tightly soldered.

Could be a poorly soldered pot, or even a bad pot? Hard to say, without seeing/hearing it.

Check the 3-way switch wiring, as well...just to be safe/sure.

Do you have the 3-volume, 1 master tone control setup? You're talking about the 3-pickup

LP Custom Black Beauty, right? I don't have one, so I'm not sure how your's is wired, but my

Riviera P-93 (3-P90 pickups) is wired with 3 volume, and 1 tone control. Is the buzzing worse

on any ONE of the volume controls or the tone control? That might indicate where the source of

the problem is. Pots (if that's what it turns out to be) are easily replaced, and economical, too.

CB

What a feeling of deja vu I'm getting. This is not the first post regarding similar problems,

specifically regarding a 3-pickup Black Beauty, which seems to be the most-counterfeited

Epiphone model. Hope I'm wrong but I'd almost bet the OP got a direct-ship from China,

or something like that.

hmmm..... well there is a sticker on the back saying "Hand Crafted in China". I ordered online at a guitar center store though. Support told me to get a warranty evaluation or something like that from a local repair shop so I guess I'll try that out.

I hate getting new things that you really want to use and then they don't work right #-o . Thank you for your responses though.

Older house? I have that problem here, from time to time, as the house I own is over 100 years old, now.

Guess I'd buzz and hiss, too...if I was that old. LOL! Is your wiring (house) two prong, or do you have the

newer grounded (3-prong) receptors? In buildings and houses with the 2 prong receptors, that kind of hum

is quite common, and generally a lot worse, than in the newer "grounded" 3-prong wired buildings/houses.

CB

Do you have any fluorescent lights or neon in that room? They play games with amps... neon (white more than red) is really the worst.

I have had to ask many times to have a neon beer sign near us to be turned off as it just caused the amps to buzz. Fluorescent lamps have a ballast but are not near as bad as a transformer used in neon. Anything in the room or plugged to the same outlet (five per circuit is code) ? That may be your problem.

Hey I just recently purchased an Epiphone Black Beauty 3 about 3 days ago. I absolutely love it' date=' but today I went to plug it in and an abnormal buzzing started coming from my amplifier (Line 6 Spider 3). At first it was quite loud so I tried my old Ibanez on the same amp, and the only buzzing I heard was very faint and only while I was playing something (it seemed normal really). I tried playing the Epiphone on my old Fender 15w PoS amp and the same thing happened. I finally went back to the Line 6 once more and the buzzing seemed a bit more faint but it is still quite noticeable. It's most (almost only) apparent on the rhythm and treble settings. I was wondering if this is something common or if anyone knows how to fix or deal with the problem other than having to try messing with warranty stuff. I hope it's nothing serious because I love this guitar :-({|= !. Any help is greatly appreciated.

By the way this is a re-post from the Gibson forums, I didn't know there was a separate Epiphone one, but I would also like to say that the buzzing does not stop when I touch the strings, it will get louder with more volume, and is still noticeable while playing.[/quote']

The buzz does not disappear when you touch strings, but does it get quieter?

Still could be one of the internal ground wires.

Could also be a bad (loose) contact at the output jack.

I had mine resoldered, which seemed to fixed it for a while.

If the buzz is common across multiple guitars, try a different cable, or jiggle the cable around and see if it stops/changes while you are moving the cable.

No issue with brand new cables, but the buzz seems to get worse after the cable has been stepped on several times (and/or pulled from the guitar if I am moving). Which is one of the reason why I asking about wireless systems last week.

Archived