Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Epi Identification

thecheat

Honestly i have never seen that kind of a LP - 100. if it was a limited edition i dont know about then thats one thing but !00's don't come with grover tuners and lp -100 is written on the truss rod cover not Gibson. Could be one of the not so famous Limited Edition or could it be a fake ?? the serial number is not recognizable by the guitar dater project IMO it's a fake.

i thought that you thought it to be a LP 100. from what i see it ain't a studio too as it's got a bolt on neck. and moreover guitar dater project doesn't recognize the serial number so i guess it is a fake. i read that the seller said that it was called "Stiletto" now I've never heard Epiphone make any Stiletto. Schecter makes stiletto and that too is a Bass guitar. It some how makes me think that this guitar is fake. oh well someone has already bought it. not again O:)

and again that seller's got 100% rating he wouldn't sell it if it was fake. probably he doesn't now it's fake too or we dont know that Epi ever made that model. never heard of it ...:-k :-k

Looks to me to be a '90s era LP-100 or whatever the equivalent was at the time. It has all the '90s trappings on the headstock... horizontal Epi logo as opposed to angled, and the gibson truss rod cover both scream '90s Epi. I doubt it's a fake, it seems riddiculous to make a fake of a guitar that's worth less than $200 brand new. And besides, it sold for less than $150. The case alone is probably worth every penny of that. I wouldn't feel bad for the buyer at all. O:)

Looks to me to be a '90s era LP-100 or whatever the equivalent was at the time. It has all the '90s trappings on the headstock... horizontal Epi logo as opposed to angled' date=' and the gibson truss rod cover both scream '90s Epi. I doubt it's a fake, it seems riddiculous to make a fake of a guitar that's worth less than $200 brand new. And besides, it sold for less than $150. The case alone is probably worth every penny of that. I wouldn't feel bad for the buyer at all. O:) [/quote']

Ya could be possible but the seller said it was called as Stiletto.. smells fishy though.. it's because GUITAR DATER PROJECT too DID NOT recognize that serial number.:-k

Odds are the seller wasn't the first owner, and it was most likely repainted at some point. Any idiot could have told the guy it was called a Stiletto and he wouldn't have known any different. As for the serial #, GDP is not infalliable... and that may not even have been the original neckplate. Who knows? *shrug* I still maintain that it is pointless to make a copy of an LP-100. What's next, counterfeit Squier Bullet series Strats? A fake First Act Wal*Mart special? Do we need to start verifying the serial numbers on the Vee-Wee rigs before we buy them for our kids? LOL... I'm not saying for SURE it isn't a fake, I just highly doubt it is. Heck, I would have paid $150 for it just to get the case, and resold the guitar for $75.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I should of stated that I am the one who did win the auction. As stated above I went for it due to the case, not the guitar. However I figured I would investigate it somewhat to see what it is. I have not yet received it, but when i do, is there anything that I should look for to tell me any other info. Is there anything under the pickups or in the electronic cavities?

As old as it probably is, there's no telling. The pickups may or may not say epiphone on the bottom, if they're original. Either way, the guitar is probably worth less than $100 without the case. Play it, if it feels good, keep it as a backup guitar. If not, relist it with a $50 starting bid and no reserve, and make some of your money back. Or, use it to experiment with setups or wiring mods, as a practice piece so you don't mess up a guitar you're worried about. Keep the case either way. Win/win.

I received some more info from the guy today. Quote:

I am the original owner, so I bought it brand new and the paint

job is original - as is the serial number. I remember doing some

hunting for info a few weeks back and finding out that the

serials for mid-90s Epiphone guitars were sort of a mixup. They

just pulled them out of a box or something.

I'm pretty sure the guitar is an Asian import, and since it's an

entry level guitar, I believe the original price was around $250-

300. I remember the name "stiletto" for some reason, but

haven't found any leads regarding that.

End Quote

I figure it has to be a LP-100 or similar for that price point. The color really throws me though. Also on the LP-100 is it normal to have the edges beveled?

Archived