Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul pots

BBill

I was thinking about something the other day... Couldn't you theoretically use the long shaft pots if you put a couple extra nuts on them as spacers? I know at times the short shaft pots have been right on the edge of being too short. The long ones shouldn't be too tall to fit in the cavity, right? Isn't an epi pretty much the same thickness as a Gibson?

Chinese Epis need medium' date=' short are just a bit too short. (I know, I just tried!). You could use long and add washers/spacers, but if the shaft doesn't sit exactly 90 degrees the angle will look slightly out.[/quote']

Medium? I didn't even know they existed? ](*,)

antwhi2001...just wondering. Do you have a source for medium-sized pots? They may come in handy. I generally do some extra routing to fit the regular(short) ones.

I've actually used a paddle bit with the outside teeth ground down, from the inside of the guitar. Not something I'd reccomend for a novice or the feint of heart though... one slip and you can wobble out the hole for the shaft, or worse, come all the way through the top, leaving a nice 1 1/2" hole where your knob used to go, LOL... =D>

I've actually used a paddle bit with the outside teeth ground down' date=' from the inside of the guitar. Not something I'd reccomend for a novice or the feint of heart though... one slip and you can wobble out the hole for the shaft, or worse, come all the way through the top, leaving a nice 1 1/2" hole where your knob used to go, LOL... =D> [/quote']

Yeah, most of my "techniques" wouldn't make it in the handbook on "How to hotrod your guitar", but as long as I'm doing it to my own guitars, who cares right... As it is I haven't screwed up...much. :-)

Archived